Search

Computational Thinking in a Literacy programme

Computational Thinking compliments the Key Competencies, so students can develop a way of thinking that enables them to hone their critical, creative, problem solving and collaborative skills.

With CTDT Progress Outcomes starting with, “In authentic contexts....with end-users in mind...” it makes sense to integrate activities that make natural connections to the NZ Curriculum, where students can learning about, with and through Digital Technologies. CT Progress Outcome 1 introduces non-computerised concepts, while Progress Outcome 2 builds on this and reads,

In authentic contexts and taking account of end- users, students give, follow and debug simple algorithms in computerised and non-computerised contexts. They use these algorithms to create simple programs involving outputs and sequencing (putting instructions one after the other) in age-appropriate programming environments.

Progress Outcome 3 introduces the concepts of decomposing problems as step-by-step instructions, logical thinking, prediction of programmes, variety of algorithms, and understanding that digital devices store data as two ‘binary’ bits.

Literacy is an obvious vehicle to explore these processes and concepts more in-depth, so we’ve done some digging around on the Internet and come up with a few activities (both plugged and unplugged) in the presentation below for you to try with your students. Like a good stretch, some activities just take a few minutes a day. 

While we've collated some ideas, please feel free to click on the Google slides, either add text or a slide of your own to help create a crowd-sourced resource for us all to use. 

Replies

• Hayley (View all users posts) 27 May 2019 9:50am ()

Thank you so much Tessa.

It is hugely helpful to show teachers how current teaching and learning contexts can be used as a platform to develop the new DTC progression outcomes.  It makes it less scary and doable.  The challenge is to actually make explicit where the new learning happens in these familiar lessons when thinking about both the CT progression outcomes and the Key Competencies. 

One way we have done this is to create a growing vocabulary wall.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 28 May 2019 12:03pm ()

Kia ora Hayley, thanks for this, doable and I think fun too.

A vocabulary wall sounds intriguing and useful. Do you have an example/picture to share? Maybe others would like to do the same especially if scaffolding this learning across Progress Outcomes 1-3. Also if you have any other resources and ideas, please feel free to drop them into the Google slides. smiley 

• Tara Fagan (View all users posts) 27 May 2019 4:03pm ()

Thanks for this Tessa, some great resources and ideas that we will share with teachers.  

We have developed two resources that I thought I would share as they might be useful as well.

DT Progress outcomes for CT and DDDO

Ngā Tupuranga o Hangarau Matihiko

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 28 May 2019 12:08pm ()

Kia ora Tara, these PDF resources are extremely useful, especially if schools/kura print these out for teachers and kaiako too thank you. smiley I like the other examples shared for Science, Maths etc as well. I'll go and add these to the Google slides. If you have any more ideas, please feel free to add them there too.

• Jeanette McGrath (View all users posts) 28 May 2019 1:49pm ()

Thank you so much Tessa - this is going to be invaluable for our teachers and learners :) 

Join this group to contribute to discussions.