Search

Who's sparking up your localised curriculum?

I've been working with a few schools lately, unleashing and reigniting the passion in the curriculum by unpacking constructivist models of learning, such as; Play Based learning, Project-Based learning, Passion projects, Gamification,  Student-based inquiry, STEAM, STEM, Makerspace and how this looks in our student-centred classrooms.

Our big challenge or wero: What is an authentic context for learning? Sounds pretty easy really... an authentic context is all around us - in the houses/communities we live in, the food we eat, to the vehicles we use, how they're made and powered, cultural contexts for daily/special rituals - the contexts for authentic learning are endless, but we don't always find this easy to teach in our classrooms.

Authentic learning contexts

Schools and kura are coming together to map the year ahead, some are doing this with the input of their students and the wider community. This resource from Grow Waitaha is an exemplary example of how NZ educators are so willing to share their mahi. I found the exercise of asking akonga their views on learning, in the student conversation toolkit very powerful and the facilitated strategies and support material very useful. There are also examples of authentic/collaborative learning from Grow Waitaha in their authentic curriculum kete.

On top of all of the wonderful school stories and resources already in NZC Online, there is a new Local curriculum package of support for 2019 rolling out soon (including in-depth workshops) for Schools and kura  who want to focus on local curriculum – both design and review. 

So where you do start? Concept? Problem? Learning area? Key Competencies? Are these based on local stories, historical moments, tipuna, global or the students themselves? Are these issues-based or curriculum driven? I'd really appreciate some ideas for how you or your colleagues brainstorm contexts for learning. Likewise if this is a wondering for you as well?

Replies

Join this group to contribute to discussions.