Search

School based research around impact of device interface on higher order thinking

Started by Sam McNeill 26 Mar 2018 3:43pm () Replies (1)

Kia ora koutou katoa,

I found a link on LinkedIn to the Churchie School in QLD who had conducted a longitudinal study across three years of the impact on higher order thinking of the use devices in their classroom. They specifically compared traditional keyboards and devices that could support touch and digital inking across over 100x teacher observations.

I was impressed with this level of commitment from a school to actively reflect on their own teaching and learning and particularly the impact of technology on it. I ended up linking to the original article and contributing my own reflections on it in this blog post:

https://samuelmcneill.com/2018/03/26/research-the-importance-of-digital-inking/

In some ways, this research mirrors my own findings in the last school I worked in and I would be pleased to see if any NZ schools are doing similar levels of research into the impact on teaching and learning and how they can stimulate higher order thinking through their choice on devices.

I know most schools will admit to be "research led" but I do wonder how often they reflect on their own practices in depth (I wrote a blog last Friday on the challenges of vision vs administration in SLT...) and when it comes to technology choice do we look at what other schools are finding in this space.

Cheers

Sam

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Technologies

e-Learning: Technologies

Where we explore how different technologies can support learning.