Search

A little can be huge when colouring in white spaces

• Public
Started by Tessa Gray 24 Oct 2017 12:25pm () Replies (1)

Cross posted from A little can be huge when colouring in white spaces >>> Some of you may have seen Ann Milne's presentation: Colouring in the white spaces as the final keynote for uLearn17. 

EDtalksCultural identity and community in whitestream schools

Here's a recent blog post (23 Oct 17) from Dr Ann Milne, Who should learn most about White Privilege—Māori children or Pākehā children? with some more interesting statistics and provocations from Dr Ann Milne about white privilege – also something urgent for Pākehā teachers (and parents) to be challenged by.

I try and tell my children they’re privileged, not to be ‘better than most’ but to acknowledge that there are things they shouldn't ever take for granted - like the very things granted to them because they are growing up Pākehā. I also share how privileged we are to have our first peoples culture, that brings so much meaning and wairua to Aotearoa, something we nearly lost and could still lose in these white spaces. Our kids learn from us and watch everything we do. The same must be said for us as teachers too.

Alex Hotere-Barnes recently challenged us to question our implicit bias and reading Maurie Abraham’s blog post, Challenge of Biculturalism Lies With Pakeha earlier this year, also challenged me to be more conscious of how I make Māori feel in my presence. Where Māori have always made me feel welcome, respected, enjoyed, I want to know I’ve done the same – where my cultural status/privilege hasn’t whitened/dominated another person’s culture, identity and potential. Like this Spark ad, a little can be huge. What’s the one little thing that could be huge when colouring in the white spaces?

Join this group to contribute to discussions.