Search

New Draft Digital Technologies Consultation and Feedback

Check out the release here: http://elearning.tki.org.nz/News/Consultation-on-new-digital-technologies-content-for-the-National-Curriculum

New Draft Digital Technologies Curriculum here.

Be in to have a voice!

Replies

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 07 Jul 2017 1:22pm ()

Infographic digital technology for learning

I haven't dived into all of these articles/blogs shared yet (I will), but agree about having a healthy view point like Allanah says. We should always be questioning what we do/teach in terms of validity for our students (now and the future), which makes me happy to hear how educators being involved from a practical 'rubber hits the road' point of view, thanks Ginette.

It's also timely to look at what the research is telling us and this blog post from Samuel McNeill, Digital technologies for Learning, what the research says is a great summary of the research from NZCER about digital technologies use in Years 1-8. The infographics and succinct reports are an invaluable snapshot of digital technologies in NZ schools. 

There is also an acknowledgement that there are (and will be) some challenges for educators, such as resourcing, tools and teacher capability (PLD needed). NZTech Advance Education Technology Summit: Leading for 21st Century Learning

P.S I remember similar responses when we changed the Curriculum in 2007-2008, and again when we introduced languages across the Curriculum...

As Ginette says, to avoid having this done to us, let's get involved in the consultation, I'm booked into a local workshop already.

• Warren Grieve (View all users posts) 05 Jul 2017 7:17am ()

On the ideas of computers and learning again, it will be interesting to follow the impact of this project in Tanzania. A very narrow use of digital technology but looks interesting. http://www.iflscience.com/technology/the-elon-musk-project-youve-never-heard-of-that-might-change-the-world/

• Warren Grieve (View all users posts) 04 Jul 2017 10:07pm ()

And just to throw in another thought that raises questions also is this ALT school with its personalised learning!

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/magazine-40485293/the-futuristic-school-where-you-re-always-on-camera

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 04 Jul 2017 9:36pm ()

I was going to add this link myself but wondered if it would be counter productive in this forum. Always useful to have a range of opinions being surfaced otherwise we end up in an echo chamber.

• Warren Grieve (View all users posts) 04 Jul 2017 9:58pm ()

It is important to provide sides of pendulum swings. There are aspects of truth in the "discourse" but challenges to thinking are very important I think. It would only be counter productive I reckon if people don't stop to think through the issues. In a world of fast moving changes we don't want to leave too many people behind. We need to care!

• Warren Grieve (View all users posts) 04 Jul 2017 9:26pm ()

Always good to get Other Sides Thoughts - Not happy with new curriculum is this author.

What truths, partial truths and good thoughts are in the blog entry?

• Ginette Van Praag (View all users posts) 04 Jul 2017 10:51pm ()

Thank you for sharing this article. It is good to have a forum for a range of viewpoints because it affords opportunity for clarity.

The purpose of the new curriculum is to enable learners to understand how these new technologies work rather than just be users or consumers. What this means in the classroom is that the learner is firmly at the centre. Children learn to develop and use computational thinking skills in a safe environment to explore, inquire, create, debug, test, feedback, collaborate, feed forward, in fact, to LEARN to THINK for themselves in structured ways.

They also develop the skills and confidence to reach for new technologies, to help them further make sense of their world.  This is sound, modern, multi-modal pedagogy and there will be plenty of PLD and resources to support teachers to help unpack the language and computer science concepts.  It's no surprise there is fear, we are at a watershed, but this knee-jerk reaction comes from not recognising the potential for personal empowerment such an approach affords for the learner and this curriculum offers a unique opportunity to elevate our children to a new level.  

No fast one, this curriculum has been written by educators who have been doing this with learners for years in New Zealand and have witnessed first-hand the good it brings to the young people who experience it. No neo-liberals (whatever that means) just a bunch of educators who want to see our kids and our country fly in a very uncertain world dominated by tech.

For those who are nervous or think they're being 'done to' - this needs to be put in perspective; let go a little, do a bit at a time and trust the journey is my advice. Your learners will thank you for it.

IMG_1438.jpg

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

Digital Technologies: Ideas, implementation, inspiration for the new curriculum.

Digital Technologies: Ideas, implementation, inspiration for the new curriculum.

A group to help us explore the new Digital Technologies curriculum as it unfolds. Join today to share your thoughts, ideas, experiences and resources.