Search

Online learning - what happens when it doesn't work?

Started by Karen 16 Jan 2017 3:10pm () Replies (8)

Hi everyone.

I am keen to hear people's thoughts about online learning in the classroom and at home and what happens if student's have difficulty accessing learning. Must all learners use the same spaces/websites? If something does not work efficiently for a learner is it possible to explore other options? E.G. If you are a school that uses Google Docs but that is not the best way of doing something for a learner, is the flexibility to use something different, such as Word locally on a laptop?

Many thanks

Karen

Replies

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 25 Jan 2017 12:43pm ()

Hi Karen, this is an interesting question, especially as we consider strengthening connections between home and school and more blended learning opportunities are introduced as additional/alternative strategies to traditional methods of teaching and learning.

Blender I think the key word for me would be blended. Often the use of digital tools/resources can provide more accessibility to students, ie assistive technologies for inclusive education (like Ngaire has mentioned) as well as create opportunities for personalised learning pathways. One would hope technologies enabled choice in learning.

The disconnect can come when accessibility is inhibited - inequitable access to devices or Internet access. Some families can't afford either, in those cases digital learning learning tasks can't be accessed from home. so alternative means of assigning tasks would need to be considered - maybe mixture of traditional resources etc (blended).

Just a question to clarify, have you noticed a trend/issue that has arisen specifically in relation to accessibility for students (classroom or home)?

Image source

Join this group to contribute to discussions.