Search

Robotics for Intermediate

Started by Lynne Crowe 29 Nov 2016 6:33pm () Replies (11)

Hi

We are wanting to start some robotics groups in 2017. This year we have had a play with Scratch and some Sphero robots. We have recently been to a demo of VEX IQ and are keen on what that has to offer. We have also looked at lego robotics. Our problem is that we mainly use chromebooks. We have a couple of windoes machines per class, sets of chromebooks and one small set of ipads. With byod, most of our students have chromebooks! 

So while cost is a consideration, we are wanting some advice on what path we should take. We envisage having some students with quite advanced coding knowledge down to the keen novice. 

If we had groups of around 20 students, how many 'robot' kits would we need? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Stephan van Haren (View all users posts) 12 Mar 2017 8:35pm ()

Hello Lynne

Sorry I didn't see this post before but I have got quite a bit experience with VEX IQ. I teach it to year 7/8 at my school in Palmerston North, and also do holiday programmes for primary/intermediate students, currently helping out some primary schools as well. 

It goes without saying that I think that VEX and VEX IQ is the best thing since sliced bread. It offers so many levels of success, not only with technology and programming but also with communication, cooperation and planning. The competition element uses a format of teams working together, which is just amazing.

Don't hesitate to contact me for more info or look at the kiwibots.co.nz website for more info under VEX IQ

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Technologies

e-Learning: Technologies

Where we explore how different technologies can support learning.