Search

ios10

• Public
Started by Sasha 16 Sep 2016 11:30am () Replies (11)

http://www.cumulusglobal.com/ios-10-budget-risk-schools/

Just wondering how people feel about this and what this means for everyone? At our school it will be an issue as all of our class ipads are ipad 2's and most of our BYOD children have ipad minis.....

Replies

• Innes Kennard (View all users posts) 16 Sep 2016 7:33pm ()

Hi Sasha

Interesting article - I guess my 2005 Mazda is obsolete but I will still drive it tomorrow. I don't think there was a Chicken Licken moment on 13 Sept though I might have missed it. My iPad 2 still went the next day and still ran ALL of the apps that I use on it. However I bought it more than 5 years ago and it still does all the things I want it to do, no I won't even try to install iOS10, but I guess for quite a few years yet i will give it to kids to use, almost indestructible (probably like the 310000 kms on the Mazda).

Your school management process for your iPad 2's will determine what you do with them - your call.

Your BYOD - it is 'only' the Mini 1 from what i can read. Once again if they are all going fine now maybe you recommend that the parents don't do anything.

Maybe I should be typing this on my 5 year old notebook, netbook, chromebook OR am I missing something?

Breathe deep and soldier on

• Jim Cullinane (View all users posts) 16 Sep 2016 8:49pm ()

Innes raises a good point. Just because they release iOS 10 doesn't mean we all need it. My iPad 3 is still on iOS 8 (thanks to the newer OS deliberately not recognising my non-Apple video adapters), and it works fine. I teach with iPads in lots of schools and iPad 2s have a lot of life and learning left in them. Do they shoot 3K video? No, but do we need 3K video? Again, no. Horses for courses, and I hope schools don't get brow beaten by slick sales pitches and scare mongering that everything will be obsolete by lunchtime. At the end of the day, all devices are a tool, and we are still using pencils, aren't we?

• Sasha (View all users posts) 16 Sep 2016 7:52pm ()

My understanding of this page was we helped each other. The tone of your reply feels anything but helpful and feels very much like sarcastic put down. However I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and explain that you are indeed missing something as the article explains any ios device from now on will probably have a much shorter life span. Which will need at least some thought from schools that have budgets. Have a nice weekend and thank you for your helpful reply.

• Steve Trotter (View all users posts) 16 Sep 2016 8:30pm ()

Hi Sasha, 

Thanks for posting this article, is definitly an important factor for long term planning! 

Hope the above comment does not stop you using the VLN, I personally valued what you had to say :) Have a great weekend.

Steve

• Sasha (View all users posts) 17 Sep 2016 8:43am ()

Thanks Steve and Jim for your replies
    I'm not in a panic about this or throwing the baby out with the bath water, merely asking how others feel - so thanks for sharing your thoughts. One thing to consider is that while we are still using pencils they don't need updates to function properly. Also Innes' 5 year old netbook still receives updates one would assume (along with his mazda getting services). However, the ipads will no longer get updates and will therefore not be able to get many new apps, as often the new apps require the latest update to run. We still use very old netbooks in our rooms, along with new ones, desktops and ipads etc and yes they are all simply tools at the end of the day. But when budgeting for devices in future their ability to a successful tool over a number of years will be a factor in my mind.

• Innes Kennard (View all users posts) 17 Sep 2016 9:08am ()

Hi Sasha

If my attempt to highlight the impact of words such as obsolete and budget 'risk' was felt to be a sarcastic put down I apologise, it was not meant to be. I certainly hope it does not dissuade you from using this forum to air questions, thoughts and views. I guess I was trying to emphasise the fact that many of our schools have significant numbers of Ipad 2s, many 6 years old that will continue to go well for the foreseeable future and that learners will continue to do amazing things on them. History would suggest that the quality of the build of these devices and their newer cousins will continue and that schools will be able to confidently invest in them as learning devices. Sasha we need articles like this to remind us to look at the bigger picture and the decisions we make around learning. Thanks for bringing it to our attention - in future i will reduce my flippant impulsivity.

By the way my next car is still likely to be a Mazda, not as many bells and whistles but 300000 in 10 years without a spanner being lifted, I'll go for quality build.

Have a great weekend - tis raining on our parade here right now

Innes

• Stuart Hale (View all users posts) 17 Sep 2016 9:15am ()

Hi Sasha

I agree with Innes about to take a workshop for teachers - yes I know it is Saturday! and I will use as part of my workshop my iPad 1!!!!!

The life cycle of Apple products is much longer  than other brands!

A friend brought an Android device on special and was told before he left the shop it could not be upgraded!!

Stuart

• Jim Cullinane (View all users posts) 17 Sep 2016 9:26am ()

Definitely something to think about for future purchases Sasha.

I'm interested in how the article uses the word obsolete though. As an adjective it means:

1. no longer in general use; fallen into disuse:

It's up to us users to make that decision.

iPads don't need updates to function properly. They need people who know how to use them to function properly. I've been using an iPhone 4 running on iOS 7.1.2 for ages. Is it cutting edge? No. Is it obsolete? No. It works perfectly for what I use it for.

And so will the iPad 2s. Like pencils, they work fine without updates.

There's this mistaken belief that Apple knows what's best for us (and humanity in general). All they really care about is sales and their so called monopoly on 'creative' has been lately directed at their accounting department.

They do however, make very good hardware. Too good perhaps, since these older tablets are still going strong when Apple would rather have us buy the shiny new one as many do with their iPhones.

We are supposed to be modelling the concepts of reusing and recycling to our kids. Time we borrowed Apple's strapline and 'think different'.

I'll stop my rant now - have a good weekend...

• Steve (View all users posts) 17 Sep 2016 9:39am ()

Kia Ora Whanau

We have well over 100 Ipad 2's still functioning 100%. I have been amazed at the durability of these devices and continue to be the main workhorse of our senior and middle pods. In respect to apps we have a stable core of no more than 8 key apps which learning coaches and students smash to create brilliant, dynamic, creative, thought provoking pieces of student learning. So far our only main issue is "opps Mr K I didn't push the power cable in properly" 

Nga Mihi

• Steve Lydford (View all users posts) 17 Sep 2016 10:24am ()

We too have mostly ipad 2's which have been incredibly reliable and a great teaching tool. However, I have had an issue with Apple's ethics for many years and IOS 10 only reinforces this. I will have to wait and see how it pans out, long live the ipad 2. 

Join this group to contribute to discussions.