Search

where to go next ?

• Public
Started by donnak 01 Aug 2016 4:48pm () Replies (2)

I started the lesson today is a tomato a fruit or a vegetable? While I was waiting for some to come to the mat I began reading the beginning of the article before the tomato one about Jago that went to the bottom of lake Taupo.  This generated a lot of discussion - What is pressure and why did the submarine not get crushed? Why doesn't the water go back down into the vents ? and if it does why doesn't it put out the fire? why is it hot inside the earth.   Not sure where to go with this - I have year ones and twos.  

Replies

• Paul Ashman (View all users posts) 02 Aug 2016 7:11am ()

Wow! I'm impressed with their questions Donna! What do others think? 

These are interesting questions -how come the water doesn't go down and stop the volcanic fire? I've been thinking a bit about content knowledge and it's role with our science lessons (and an important part too) as well as thinking about when do I go for "science education" and when do I just 'do a bit of science' -I don't think the two are always the same! Sitting in a motel room in Opotiki and just off the top of my head, would this be one of those, let's have a quick chat about it (which may happen after I have a quick squiz at St. Google to find some answers myself!) rather than plan a unit or some lessons around it. I'm not sure, with our primary resources, we could get some practical activities for children to see what's going on at a volcanic level, or about the core of the earth -they could make little plasticine/play-doh balls of the earth showing a red core, and then the mantle and the crust to show our planet is made of different layers but I wonder/worry would they understand this anyway... and now I'm thinking does that matter if they don't get it, we're just exploring!

I might simply talk about all that weight of water on top of the submarine (and children can understand water is heavy by picking up an empty bucket and a full one, and then another full one -now imagine the sea on top of you!) means it has to be built with very thick metal so it doesnt get squashed. I might ask the children Are the vents empty? Or is there something in them? There's certainly lava in the way or rock if the lava has called down! I think there might be a video of the sea cooling down lava in a Hawaii eruption -it will slowly cool down something that is very hot but it will take a lot longer... and is it fire? Or is it something just very hot? 

These are probably all things children may encounter themselves off TV or in a book and I do like the idea that a chat is probably enough. I know it's us being the fountain of knowledge and with older children, I might try to get them to do a bit of research to see what they can come up with...

Oh,  I'd also remind the children -this is science! How? 

Join this group to contribute to discussions.