Search

Daily / Weekly timetables in MLE/ILE

Started by Mark Osborne 07 Jul 2016 9:43am () Replies (3)

Kia ora whanau,

I've been having a few discussions with people lately about what a day looks like within MLE/ILE and I realised we haven't spent a lot of time sharing our approaches to the structure of the day/week.

Given the need for alignment and simplicity so that co-teaching are easy, but also the need to provide enough space in the day for for learners to develop agency, engage in student-led learning like peer tutoring/tuakana-teina time and self-directed learning, what do people's days look like?

Also, if your week includes things like project-based learning, community-based learning or other interesting elements of curriculum, please share those.

Share here so others can see your approach.

Replies

• Nixon Eagle (View all users posts) 01 Sep 2016 10:29pm ()

Thanks for sharing Darran. I remembered Mark putting this question out there and have come back to see how people implement their ILE days.

We are about to move have two rooms combined to create an ILE space but have been rolling with a self guided learning based programme since the beginning of this term. I like the way your inquiry approach is so integrated within the day to day.

People might be interested to check out our class website which acts as the storage space for our learners to organise their week: https://goo.gl/x6kdj2

We have developed GAME Boards based on the Literacy Learning Progressions and National Standards expectations which form the vehicle for learner agency across the school. Students sign up for guided workshops with teachers that relate to the parts of their GAME Boards they would like to get focus on and get signed off. Students need to go to at least  6 workshops a week across reading, writing and maths.

When not attending workshops, students can choose which aspects of the curriculum they work on. For example, some students could be focused on their reading while others are studying maths. Students follow workshops up with independent and small group tasks (Must Do activities.) When all must do activities are completed, learners can move onto the wide range of can do activities to pursue extra GAME Board sign offs or follow their interests. Inquiry is integrated across literacy tasks and also part of the Must Do activities.

There has been a real buzz of productivity in the classes over the last 6 weeks and we look forward to continuing to fine tune aspects of our journey and progress.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.