Search

BYOD - Challenging old school beliefs

Started by Larissa Hogan 03 Jul 2016 8:51pm () Replies (5)

This year I have been responsible for implementing a collaborative learning environment with 54 year 7 and 8 students.  We have been given 5 lap tops, 5 apple lap tops and 9 Samsung tablets which were around 5 years old and were slow and quite difficult to use.  Our challenge began with changing children's prior knowledge about saving their learning in 'document folders' and teaching them to use google docs effectively.  This was certainly a challenge I wasn't expecting from a 'technology sufficient' generation!  

A second challenge was setting up a school policy to allow BYOD, I had to explain to many school staff members that a smart phone is a viable BOYD and was capable of completing the same functions as a laptop.  The main issue was that our school rules (now out dated, obviously!) did not allow students to have cellphones at school!  

This challenge now sorted, we move to our next (and probably most difficult) challenge which is sourcing more devices from school funds!  We (as in the students) are writing applications explaining how our ILE has changed traditional learning and we now need more ready access to devices - simply having 20 minutes rotations cant work for our 21st century learning.  I wonder how this is going to go???

Replies

Join this group to contribute to discussions.