Search

3 things students should have before they leave high school

social network

At the end of Telling a Story Beyond Grades, a blog post by George Couros, George shares an image stating 3 things that students should have before they leave high school. They are:

1. A professional social network

2. A digital portfolio

3. An About.Me page

It is becoming more and more important as adults to ensure we have a professional online presence. Being able to show our professional side through sites such as LinkedIn, blogs, Twitter and more allows potential employers to see what we have accomplished and what we can offer their schools or workplaces.

It would be great to hear your thoughts:

• How are you developing your professional image online?
  • How important do you think this is?
  • In what places do you share professionally?
  • How do you keep your professional and personal separate online? And should you?
  • In what ways are you encouraging your students to develop a professional online profile? What are you doing to demonstrate the importance of this?

There is more to the blog post shared above than these 3 things and it is worth a read.

Replies

• Celia Fleck (View all users posts) 29 Jun 2016 9:27am ()

I believe that it is more and more important to be building and maintaining a 'professional digital footprint'.  It provides visible evidence to colleagues and future employers that you are connected, confident, actively involved, and a lifelong learner.  

I am developing my professional image online through Twitter, my blog on Wordpress, VLN, POND, LinkedIn; I use these platforms to share ideas and collaborate with others.

I personally believe that professional and personal should be kept separate online - I am not a Facebook user, so have a very minimal personal online presence.

The last question is an interesting one - we seem to spend so much time warning young people about the pitfalls of being online, that perhaps we don't (or I certainly don't ) talk to them enough about the benefits of developing a professional online profile.  What might this look like for our Secondary Students?

Be very interested to hear what others think about this.

Ngā mihi.

• Lisa Banks (View all users posts) 29 Jun 2016 10:48am ()

At the recent EduTech conference in Christchurch we were told that you should have some sort of managed online presence. To not have any digital footprint is as dangerous to your future self as being photographed drunk on a Saturday night. This was because employers would be very suspicious of any millenials who do not use social media in some form.

To teach them how to create a professional online presence then is of huge value.

• anne robertson (View all users posts) 29 Jun 2016 2:07pm ()

How are you developing your professional image online? -  I have been developing my online 'identity' for quite some time but only recently have I thought about it being a 'professional' image. I think this is because I never saw myself as needing a professional identity. My online presence came about just because I was interested in technology and how it could help me in my teaching and my students in their learning. Gradually the number of accounts I had grew and then I started to share ideas and present at conferences and so I needed a place to share resources. So it has all happened up till now in quite an ad hoc way. The challenge now is pulling everything together into a cohesive portfolio!

How important do you think this is? Having a positive digital footprint is essential - we live in an online world and it isn't going to go away. A friend recently applied for a job and the company didn't want a CV, they wanted to see her LinkedIn profile. I think this is the way more companies will go - one place where they can see your professional identity with recommendations from different aspects of your professional life.

In what places do you share professionally? Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIN, The Pond, VLN, my blog on Wordpress to varying degrees

How do you keep your professional and personal separate online? And should you? I believe we do need to keep private and professional separate but given that companies will also be able to trawl the net to find your personal identity, it does need to be 'professional' too.  The lines do become blurred in a way that personal and professional pre-internet didn't for most people.

In what ways are you encouraging your students to develop a professional online profile? What are you doing to demonstrate the importance of this?  I am not in a school now but when I was we talked a lot about the idea of having a positive identity online e.g.

• thinking carefully about your email address - you have to live with it forever so don't choose something silly and also think about which email provider to use
    • appropriate behaviour online in terms of interacting with people
    • sharing photos and media - appropriate referencing
    • choosing the most appropriate platform for the messages you want to send out
    • developing a portfolio
    • that you are 'allowed' to be a teenager - the identity you build needs to show development, growth, understanding.  Employers won't expect to see the profile of a 30yr old at the age of 15
    • developing a portfolio of learning - what you need to put into it, what you shouldn't! How it can help your learning and your personal growth. 
    • Of course we also talked about online dangers but only on the context of being sensible and aware of what they might be and working out ways of mitigating them - all the above will help with that.
  • Richard Wells (View all users posts) 29 Jun 2016 2:58pm ()

Hi Anne,

Pro identity became the topic of my CORE eFellowship last year:

Here's the post I did on it: 

https://eduwells.com/2015/10/04/why-edchat-is-not-just-resources-and-ideas/

It was a fascinating journey to go on with the teachers who were part of the research as they realised they had never considered themselves as professionals with something to offer the world outside their classroom. 

Join this group to contribute to discussions.