Search

RISE UP Time at Sacred Heart Petone

Started by Jacqui Pennington 15 Jun 2016 8:21am () Replies (3)

Just wanted to share what's up as I'm so excited about it. The RISE up time in my class has given me back passion for my job. The children absolutely love it and the benefits after only 2 weeks are incredible and I keep realising more each day, eg friendships, problem solving, confidence, starting school with less bumps, enthusiasm, increased fitness & physical skills, creativity, leadership. 

I have everything set up (takes about 15 mins as the most successful resources are open & allow the children to take charge ie dress ups, balls, water trough), so at 8.30am as they arrive they are straight into it. At the moment we are packing up at 9.45 for 30 mins mat time.

I worked with an ECE teacher who created a wonderful display on Te Whaariki & Value of Play, I also emailed staff & parents an information letter.

I was concerned about fitting Numeracy in but as of yesterday I discovered through our school PD Numicon are releasing next week their 3 year- 5 year Firm Foundations numeracy programme that is based on the learning through play.

I feel guilt that I didn't have this going last year. It would be fantastic if every NE class took on this concept.

Big thanks to all those who started the ball rolling

Jacqui

Replies

• Keryn Davis (View all users posts) 15 Jun 2016 11:43am ()

Congratulations Jacqui! It's great you are seeing such fantastic outcomes so quickly. I'm not at all surprised but it's always good to hear that you are seeing the learning outcomes through play so easily AND that it's having such a positive impact on you as a teacher. It will be really interesting to hear how the programme develops and expands. Please keep us posted. 

Ngā mihi

Keryn

• Tara Fagan (View all users posts) 15 Jun 2016 1:05pm ()

Hi Jacqui

Fantastic to hear how this is coming along.  I know the work and research you have put into supporting this programme and so children transition into school.  Look forward to hearing how it goes - the challenges and the opportunities.  As per Keryn's request,  keep up posted.

Tara

Join this group to contribute to discussions.