Search

Student Blog and Classroom blog

• Public
Started by Rayner Jahnke 26 May 2016 1:45pm () Replies (4)

Hi, I am really interested in encouraging our girls at GGHS to create their own Blog site and to link this with a classroom blog site.  Is it best for me to design this then get them to join? or should they design their own and i design the classroom blog site?.  Be great to here any advice on this and tips on how to create a blog site.  Thank you.

Rayner 

Replies

• Katherine Murdoch (View all users posts) 26 May 2016 2:06pm ()

Hi Rayner, 

I have used Weebly for Education when creating a class website/blog. I set up the class one and then set up each student with their own blog which they designed using the drag and drop editing tools. 

It was really easy and I recommend Weebly for Education. 

You can get password protected pages and other advantages when you use Weebly for Education. 

Good luck :) 

Katherine

• merryl (View all users posts) 26 May 2016 2:07pm ()

Hi

This is our Hub Blog Learning Blog (Year 5/6) with  individual students blogs attached.

http://frankley1011learninghub2016.blogspot.co.nz/ 

We use blogger. Here we set up the blogs and I remain admin on all as well. Your students are obviously older. We do this to ensure we can always log in if there are any issues with what is posted or any comments left. We also ensure all students have the follow by email gadget attached to their blogs . I follow all my students' blogs, this means I see everything that is posted.

One thing I would consider is ensuring the purpose for the individual blogs is well defined and that your students reflect on what being a good digital citizenship is in the use of blogs and when commenting on other blogs. Our blogs are completely open, we want our Learners to consider a Global audience when posting and to also make connections with others through their blogs. We do a lot of work around the purpose of a blog and what is posted. We also consider how what we post can be more interactive that just sharing a paper copy etc All this promotes digital literacies and digital citizenship skills.

merryl@frankley.school.nz

• Leigh Hynes (View all users posts) 29 May 2016 3:33pm ()

Hi again Rayner

I would recommend the learners to be able to personalise their own blog so make them administrators of their own blogs.  It is about their learning after all.  I think Merryl has some really going points about digital citizenship too.  Discussion is the key!

Join this group to contribute to discussions.