Search

Scanning

• Public
Started by Susan McMillan 14 Apr 2016 8:50am () Replies (3)

A couple of years ago Eric Martini helped me with this problem so hoping he is still about or that someone else can advise. I want to scan pages from books for struggling readers and apply speech-to-text so that they can access the material.  My preference is Scannable app but I can see no way of doing it - even if I save as a PDF.  Does anyone have a work around? I know I can do it selecting text from web pages etc. but I want to know if we can use books to do the same. I'm keen to explore whether iI might enable me to use themed reading as an intervention.

Replies

• Yvonne L (View all users posts) 14 Apr 2016 8:58am ()

Have you tried loading chrome app extension  Read & Write,  has an image of a purple jigsaw puzzle piece on it. free trial for a month with extra bells and whistles but then just the read option is left,  which is what you want.  hope this helps, sounds easier than scanning etc

• Susan McMillan (View all users posts) 14 Apr 2016 12:37pm ()

Thanks Yvonne.

I had tried Read&Write already unsuccessfully yesterday but just now have found a solution if you are interested:

I use the Scannable app and in settings, set to save as PDF.  Then I save the scan to google drive. From there i select the text with Read&Write and then to read it aloud, either of the  the extensions iSpeak or Read&Write Screenshot Reader which I have just become aware of, may be used. Very exciting and thanks for your interest and help.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.