Search

Chrome Apps for Literacy

Started by crus021 01 Feb 2016 9:55pm () Replies (10)

I would very much like to explore the ideas out there of successful use of different Chrome Apps for improving literacy.

We have 1:1 ChromeBooks recently implemented at our school, and I am looking to see if anyone could suggest a Chrome App or two they have used that has aided their reading programme, engaging students and contributed to improving achievement. 

A context about how the App was used would be great to know!

Many thanks!!

Replies

• Sue Bridges (View all users posts) 26 Feb 2016 2:11pm ()

Hi Crus021

I'm a Literacy facilitator, and teachers who I have worked with find a couple of chrome extensions useful for simplifying text 'busyness' by reducing the page clutter when they are searching for info on the web. I have used them myself at times. I'm hoping to be able to put some time into trialling and recommending some later in the year, so will post when I have.  Any suggestions from users would be helpful for all of us. In the meantime:

Read with MagicScroll

Print Friendly and PDF

Read&Write for Google Chrome™

Have heard mixed reviews  for Explain Everything app - but have seen it used well for literacy on iPad.

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 26 Feb 2016 10:41pm ()

I have been looking at Pocket to read web pages aloud and declutter web pages.

It is a Chrome extension that synchs with your iPad and will save and read pages aloud.

Eric wrote a blog post about it 

http://www.controlaltachieve.com/2016/02/pocket-read-post.html

• Viv Hall (View all users posts) 29 Feb 2016 8:16am ()

Hi Allanah

Thanks it looks great, a fabulous app for students.  I enjoyed how Eric described his journey  in the car, being able to listen to the pages you've saved.  My wondering is the reverse - anyone have an app that records voice and transfers to text?  I've played around with Siri to take notes while I travel.... ok for sending short messages.  Wondering what others have used, other than the likes of  Dragon Dictate programs?

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 29 Feb 2016 9:57am ()

Google Voice Typing for Google Docs is brilliant.

• Kamrul Jalil (View all users posts) 29 Feb 2016 5:20pm ()

Google Voice Typing is great; however, isn't it accent sensitive?

• Lynne Silcock (View all users posts) 01 Mar 2016 10:26am ()

Hi all

Google voice typing is really very good and seems to work well for a variety of accents we have tried so far. Would be interested in any feedback about that.

Some other great literacy support apps include:

• ReadWrite for Google- fantastic text to speech in the free version but some great other tools as well
    • Research tool gdoc (Tools menu)

• Word Cloud extension - creates quick wordles

• Open dyslexic font extension

• Texthelp study skills add on gdoc - highlight and then grab together key parts of a doc 

• Lucid chart app and gdoc add on for visual maps/planning and note taking

• Visor extension - masks part of the screen to help students who have difficulty reading on a big page of text (and has different colours

• WordQ app - paid app provides more literacy support including excellent word prediction and support in Māori

• ThoughtQ app - paid app supports and simplifies research 

Regards​

Lynne

• Louise Munro (View all users posts) 06 Mar 2016 2:05pm ()

Readability is a Google extension. It will strip all the sidebars and other distractions off a webpage and only show the text. Particularly good when students are reading articles from the newspaper.

It means that if you then apply a text to speech app (wwe have Speak-It), only the text is read and not the layout features.

• Charlotte Hills (View all users posts) 06 Mar 2016 2:10pm ()

Will give this a go... thanks for sharing Lousie :-)

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 08 Mar 2016 1:07pm ()

Not entirely Google Apps - but here's a variety of e-tools to consider, designed to help support different literacy learning goals in, Literacy, numeracy and yousmiley

Join this group to contribute to discussions.