Search

Feedback Sessions

• Public
Started by Aaron MacKinnon 15 Jan 2016 1:15pm () Replies (3)

Hello all, 

With the upcoming school year fast approaching, I am wondering about how other schools set up their Teaching as Inquiry feedback sessions.  I do realise this is a self reflective process, but I am curious to know if others do set aside time for discussion with colleagues.  Is this done with the teacher and the principal, deputy principal, syndicate leader?  How does this look in other schools? 

Replies

• Michelle (View all users posts) 15 Jan 2016 2:27pm ()

Kia ora Aaron

Teaching as Inquiry at our school has been seen in the past as 'extra workload' and it has taken some time to get the to the point we are now...we definitely are still refining our systems to suit our learners (that's students & teachers). 

Our school has on-going conversations/discussions at team meetings where learning and evidence is top priority. Teams openly discuss the children's learning and individuals share what they have observed, research based evidence, raw scores etc. It needs to be regularly placed on the team agenda or else it just seems to fall off the list. Some schools I have visited have had separate meetings for this. A lot of the discussion that happens about individual or team inquiries are important for the team's collaborative approach to planning next steps for teaching and learning so these are vital they are done within teams first. 

We also book 2-3 staff meetings per year to share teaching as inquiry progress across teams in groups of 3-4. The leadership team are team leaders so yes they are involved. Deputy Prinicpal and Principal are involved at staff meeting sessions. As the deputy principal, I also share my leadership as inquiry. 

One of the last staff meetings is where data is shared by the senior leadership team and teams, for the next year, have an opportunity to begin thinking about the next inquiry focus for their learners. 

In the early days we when we were introducing TAI we booked CRT for the whole team on the same days and gave extra release for TAI development and feedback sessions. Teachers loved this and I think this made the biggest difference for teachers to get their heads around what an effective inquiry looks like. It gave them time to collect evidence and find evidence based research to back up their teacher instinct. 

Hope this is of some help.

Michelle

• Robyn Johansen (View all users posts) 17 Jan 2016 10:57pm ()

Kia ora Aaron

I am part of a large Technology Centre that is keen to embrace changes that make learning more authentic for the students. Last year our TAI was based around individual goal setting. This had varying degrees of success. Some of our staff struggled. Data hadn't been gathered consistently or efficiently as we rely on this being passed to us from our client schools and from our own observations. We also have the added complication of only seeing our students for  1 1/2 hours a week for about 8 or 9 weeks so following individual students and recording progress was challenging. We found we needed to meet more often to see how everyone was getting on. 

This year we are going to try a full Centre TAI focusing on student inquiry based learning. With the support of our Principal and Centre Leader a team of 3 staff have set out an action plan for the staff to follow. Providing plenty of PD and discussion time as a group and some one on one time helps the staff feel more supported and appreciated.

If you get a chance watch the movie "Most Likely to Succeed".

All the best for the year ahead.

Nga mihi

Robyn

Join this group to contribute to discussions.