Search

Using Chromebooks to record student Voice

Started by Charlotte Hills 20 Dec 2015 11:39pm () Replies (26)

Looking to connect with others who are successfully using Chromebooks as a way to develop strong student voice.  

Is anyone using individual student blogs as a way to record student voice?

What are some useful apps that can be utilized on Chromebooks to engage learners?   

Or... have you found some flaws using Chromebooks that hinder capturing student voice when using a Chromebook?

Replies

• terrywithers (View all users posts) 02 Jan 2016 9:45pm ()

Kia ora Charlotte, enjoying reading the replies.  We have been a BYOD for year 6 for a year now (rolling into our 2nd) and now our year 5s are trialling it.  As the e-learning coordinator we have suggested either chrome books or PCs as I truly believe that it is not the device that matters but how we as facilitators use it.  We also use Hapara Teacher Dashboard, which is great, it enables us to collaborate any time. 

The great thing about the whole ‘device’ or ‘chrome book’ thing is student agency.  There is so much more choice (authentic choice) that you can use when doing your literacy plans and other curriculum areas.  Students work collaboratively and take a lot more responsibility for their learning.  They can gather their own research material to assist any learning that is happening.  We use the feedback tool a lot – this really empowers the students, because not only do I comment on their learning but their peers do to. 

The other thing we do is 80/20 time or Passion Projects (if you google it there is a lot of different names for this).  This allows the students to control what they want to learn about and how they want to present work.  It really motivates the students to complete other learning tasks assigned to them (not that they really need much more encouragement).  We have found that this really helps the students become increasingly capable of self-regulating and collaborative.  Basically we have found that this was a great way to embrace 21st century skills.  If you are interested I am happy to share with you more details about how we do this in class – not sure if I am going in the right direction in helping here.  

• terrywithers (View all users posts) 11 Jan 2016 7:59pm ()

Kia ora Charlotte, love to share - I am off on a camping holiday tomorrow so will response when I get back.  Just quickly thought - Hapara is great, I couldn't function without it (I think).  I found its main strength is the ability to give instant feedback and feed forward, either by me or the students themselves.  They can do this either by voice or written message.  Google classroom is good - but we don't have anyone on staff that can set it up and maintain it - if you had a full time IT person it would be great.  With Hapara you pay a small fee per child but they set it up and monitor etc.  We have used Kiwischools to start with, gave me the confidence to use it etc (they set it up and monitor with tutorials etc).  I will respond again soon.

Cheers

Terry

Join this group to contribute to discussions.