Search

Transferring Google Drive folders to a personal gmail account

• Public
Started by Lavinia Robyns 14 Dec 2015 3:56pm () Replies (10)

We have a couple of teachers leaving and I need to transfer quite a large number of folders to their new domain or personal gmail. Does Google Apps still not allow a direct transfer of files to a different domain? I can't seem to make this work.  I think I can delete the user and transfer files. Has anyone figured out a smart and efficient way to do this? Any advice would be hugely appreciated! Lavinia

Replies

• Rachel (View all users posts) 14 Dec 2015 4:02pm ()

Hi Lavinia,

When you delete an account in google admin it gives you the options to transfer all their info to a different account. You just type the address in and google does it for you.

I've asked my staff to give me a personal account they would like this transferred to and that seems to have worked no hassles in the past. Maybe do it a little in advance and get them to check in their personal accounts whether some of the files within folder within folders...... are still there because sometimes i've found larger files (music) stored in sub/sub folders don't always carry over.

Rachel :)

• Rachel (View all users posts) 14 Dec 2015 4:20pm ()

https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2456286?hl=en

They don't get lost, staff would just have to request access from the new personal account when they open the shared resource.

Alternatively, the staff member can transfer ownership to another staff member. Then they get to keep the resource themselves when they migrate their stuff over, but ownership stays within your school domain so everyone at school still has access.

• Rachel (View all users posts) 15 Dec 2015 9:10am ()

Good to know.

Thanks Greg. 

That would solve Gavin's query around google sites too then wouldn't it?

They would still be available within the school domain?

Join this group to contribute to discussions.