Search

Google drive accounts for staff leaving

• Public
Started by agilchrist 08 Oct 2015 11:30am () Replies (6)

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get some ideas of procedures other schools are using when staff leave the school in regards to their google drive.  

This is a first for us and hoping to use expertise from others to make the change over as easy as possible. 

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Replies

• Karen Mills (View all users posts) 08 Oct 2015 12:02pm ()

Admin can transfer ownership to another gmail so teacher can keep all files or teacher can download all files wanted using Google drive on computer. 

• flowin (View all users posts) 08 Oct 2015 1:41pm ()

some ideas here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/techies-for-schools/13HpQ-rbbY0

We change the password on the teacher's account but leave files as is, atm. Mail transfer is done using domain app tools.

• Katie Fowlds (View all users posts) 08 Oct 2015 7:43pm ()

We have been changing their password/suspending them in the admin panel. We found that with so much staff collaboration, that we needed to give their team time to make copies of important shared docs/files that the leaving teacher owned. We keep their accounts for about 1 year before deleting, although it depends on the staff member.

When staff leave I send regular communications about getting their work out in the weeks prior to leaving. There are constant changes in the best way to get GAFE tools out, and it is important that staff know that they will only be able to take the files that they own - hence the time needed to make copies of any shared work that someone else set up and owns. If your staff member holds a leadership role, then the organisation needs to make sure they can also keep the files they need when the staff member leaves.

I have been recommending using Google Takeout to do this with both staff and students. However, this isn't great with large amounts of work in google accounts. Here are the instructions that I have given to our Year 8 student leavers, as well as staff members. I will be looking into whether this is still the best option towards the end of this term.  https://docs.google.com/a/howickint.school.nz/presentation/d/1XiDrwVe2Z_LLWB6nscFhBEVz4vGcMJrJQeP75bmaH6k/edit?usp=sharing 

• Lavinia Robyns (View all users posts) 14 Dec 2015 3:58pm ()

Hi Katie - I just realised I should have read your post before I started a new discussion!  Your advice is really helpful. Thanks,Lavinia

• Kim Tautari-Scott (View all users posts) 08 Oct 2015 9:18pm ()

Thanks for your great help on this Katie.  I to am up to the stage where I'm investigation end of year procedures.  I'd be interested in what option/s you choose.

Thanks for your suggestion of the regular communications with leaving staff members.  That is a definate 1%er tip I will be using.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.