Search

You Tube restrictions

• Public
Started by Lynne Crowe 22 Sep 2015 7:36am () Replies (19)

I hope someone can help with this. Our You Tube settings for staff are set as unrestricted, but often we cannot watch videos as we get the message about 'safe mode'. This only happens in Chrome. When we watch the same video in Explorer or Firefox there are no problems. I have had the techie guy look at this and have just just checked the settings in the Admin console again and the settings for staff is definitely unrestricted. Anyone got a solution?

Replies

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 22 Sep 2015 11:03am ()

I believe there is an issue with N4L filtering. You amy want to contact them.

• Lynne Crowe (View all users posts) 22 Sep 2015 12:09pm ()

Thanks Allanah!

• Tamara Bell  (View all users posts) 22 Sep 2015 11:09am ()

I am with you - this drives me crazy and I have tried everything to be allowed to change the safe mode but are not allowed. I am shocked by the great content that gets shut off too - things I would never dream of restricting are blocked in safe mode, a lot of great content cut off from our classes GRRRR!

I currently get around it by changing to Incognito and using a separate browser but its frustrating & time consuming to do that all the time.  It def cant be changed in the Admin console so i agree with Allanah, think its a N4L filtering issue.  Let me know if you have any luck!

• Lynne Crowe (View all users posts) 22 Sep 2015 12:08pm ()

I'm glad it's not just us - yes there are ways around it but it is so frustrating. Will get our techie onto N4L when he comes on Thursday!

• Tim Harper (View all users posts) 22 Sep 2015 12:12pm ()

Hi Lynne,

you can ring N4L too - 0800 LEARNING.

At Mt Aspiring we had the same issue with content blocked by Safe Mode.  N4L forces safe mode but they can disable it.  If you ring them today they can sort it today - no point waiting until your tech comes along!

• Lynne Crowe (View all users posts) 22 Sep 2015 12:17pm ()

Thanks Tim. Just a question - why does this only happen in Chrome?

• Tim Harper (View all users posts) 22 Sep 2015 12:31pm ()

Not sure!  I will have to look at my case notes.  I have them somewhere ....

• Scott Noakes (View all users posts) 22 Sep 2015 2:44pm ()

Hi Lynne,

One option you might be interested in looking into is Linewize. With Linewize you can enable or disable Google SafeSearch individually for both YouTube and Search on a per group basis. This allows you to turn SafeSearch for YouTube on for students and off for teachers. It's pretty simple, Have pasted a screenshot in.

Group based SafeSearch configuration

At U-Learn we're launching our classroom tools which will allow teachers to easily turn off SafeSearch for their class for the next 30 minutes, among many other things. This can be achieved from the browser of any authenticated teacher device without having to log into Linewize.

Happy to chat if this might be of interest to you.

Cheers Scott.

• Lynne Crowe (View all users posts) 24 Sep 2015 11:36am ()

Okay I contacted N4L but we still have some videos created by students that are not playing on Chrome for staff or students. We have just discovered that these videos will play on a desktop but NOT a laptop. Any suggestions on how to solve this?

• Tim Harper (View all users posts) 24 Sep 2015 11:39am ()

Hi Lynne,

can you provide links to the videos and describe the devices that the videos will not play on?  Eg Chromebook, Macbook Air etc?

• Lynne Crowe (View all users posts) 24 Sep 2015 11:49am ()

Here is the link to the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J3nl9JrU-w

Students cannot play on Chromebooks or desktops or chromebox!

I cannot play it on my HP laptop but can on a desktop PC.

We do have YouTube restrictions on for students only - thinking that this might need to be removed!

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 24 Sep 2015 11:53am ()

I've been watching this with interest... FYI:

works on my 2015 macbook... 2012 macbook pro... iPhone 6...  

(all going through N4L)

• Tim Harper (View all users posts) 24 Sep 2015 11:54am ()

Hi Lynne,

The video plays here on Chrome.

If it will not play for students then you will need to relax the safe mode restrictions for students too.

Another possible option is not to host the video on Youtube but to place it in Google Drive and change the sharing settings so that anyone with the link can view it.

• Lynne Crowe (View all users posts) 24 Sep 2015 12:03pm ()

Totally frustrating! Yes we could do the Google Drive trick but some students want them on their blogs! Some of the student created videos play and others don't and there doesnt seem to be any reason. When you are trying to get staff to use new things, this type of hassle certainly doesn't help!!

I have taken of student restrictions, so will try again later. But that should not be affecting teacher laptops!

Thanks for all your help!

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 24 Sep 2015 12:16pm ()

what I would do, is call N4L and ask them to remove all filtering.  Test and see if videos play.  That way you can see if it is N4L or some internal issue.   

It seems strange to me that the issue isn't cross platform, so that indicates internal or specific device issues.

Then call google and they will do get you to do some debugging tests with the browser that is having this issue, so they can see the code, and let you know what you can do .  

I did have some issues with latency on chrome with teacher devices.  For us it turned out that some extensions were taking control over internet up and down, so latency was occurring all the time.

... anyway thats my 10 cents  frown

Join this group to contribute to discussions.