Search

Play based learning

Started by Karrie 19 Sep 2015 8:52pm () Replies (6)

Hi NE teachers - after careful reflection on my programme I am looking at making some changes to incorporate play based learning....but not sure where or how to start.  Does anyone have some ideas that they are willing to share?

thanks,

Replies

• Helen H (View all users posts) 20 Sep 2015 11:37am ()

Hi Karrie

A good place to start is looking at Action Stations also another area that will help is Discovery Time.

There are a number of schools using both of these programmes to incorporate Play based learning into their classrooms.

Have a look at these and then come back with some questions ...

Helen

• Karen (View all users posts) 13 Oct 2015 3:38pm ()

Hi Karrie,

We use discovery time as mentioned above, which is great for developing the key competencies and School Values. I have found it helps with the transition process as it builds on what they have experienced in ECE settings.Definitely worth researching further.

Karen

• Catherine Lynagh (View all users posts) 18 Oct 2015 4:45pm ()

Play Matters by Kathy Walker is another good resource.  If you are on Facebook, join the Learning Through Play group https://www.facebook.com/groups/505280046303113/  Lots of great ideas there, and teachers who are using learning stories for assessment.

• Brigitte Holmes (View all users posts) 07 May 2016 10:23pm ()

Here is a useful link...http://blog.core-ed.org/blog/2014/04/powerful-play-continuity-and-inquiry-for-children-starting-school.html.

I love the idea of a play based approach for learning.  However, I am nervous about National Standards and wonder what might happen if you stop pushing the students to meet the standards. We are in the process of setting up an ILE in our school for the new entrants.  We have a wonderful opportunity to change what education looks like in the first 2 years of school, I am concerned that much of the excitement and enthusiasm is not genuine and that demands will be made for progress and assessments against the standards.  How do other schools deal with that?  Have you changed the way you assess?  Do children still meet the benchmarks?

• Judith Urry (View all users posts) 08 May 2016 7:35am ()

Hi Brigitte

I agree with your concerns about the how we marry up the really good things that happen during play and the progress children make when things are explicitly taught. I am currently looking at play and literacy learning while on sabbatical leave this term. Only a week in, I am exploring literacy development at ECE level and the links with school expectations and but feeling more confused and challenged by the day! Happy to share what ever I might find out!

Join this group to contribute to discussions.