Search

Explain Everything for Chrome

• Public
Started by Martine 16 Sep 2015 8:23pm () Replies (13)

We love using Explain Everything on our iPads and I now have teachers asking if we can get it on the Chromebooks too. Has anyone gone through the licensing process for the Chrome version at their school yet? Did it require much work? We have 75 Chromebooks with chrome management console - can it be pushed out through this once we have the licences or does each licence have to be set to each Chromebook separately? TIA

Replies

• Lynne Crowe (View all users posts) 17 Sep 2015 5:43pm ()

Martine, I am also interested in the answer to this question, but this discussion group doesn't seem to be very active. Can I suggest that you repost this on the Google Apps for Education group! 

• Paul Tyson (View all users posts) 17 Sep 2015 7:17pm ()

This info is from this website: http://explaineverything.com/news/explain-everything-chromebooks/

" You can download the app on the Chrome Web Store and use it for free for 30 days. After 30 days the app requires a single-time purchase license key ($2.99 USD). Bulk purchasing discounts are available starting at 50%. Contact sales@explaineverything.com for more information."

• Johnny Zondagh (View all users posts) 18 Sep 2015 8:13am ()

Looks like a great tool. Will it actually lead to better, more efficient learning and deeper thinking  or just more visual gimmickry? Has anyone used it and what do you think about it. Please shed some light.

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 18 Sep 2015 8:18am ()

I agree Johnny.

Looks very pretty, and a lovely way of regurgitating knowledge but we have moved away from that style of teaching.  Please correct me if someone had used it in a meaningful way in innovative teaching... 

• Kat Gilbert-Tunney (View all users posts) 18 Sep 2015 8:58am ()

I wouldn't call it gimmicky at all! It is a tool for flipping your classroom if that's the way you are going. It allows you to demonstrate lessons and write as you go (basically a modelling book online) and then you can talk over the top of it. You can put pictures on to and move them around and hide them so they appear as you are counting (for juniors). You can upload the lessons for your children to look at later and you can refer back to them when you are taking your groups. It would come as highly recommended in my list of apps! If it is on chrome then that's great to hear as we are now using chromebooks.

• Shane (View all users posts) 18 Sep 2015 9:09am ()

We are using it from a different angle. This is a great tool for the kids to present with or to add to their toolkit for recording notes or to annotate as they go. This then forms a record of their thinking, researching or the basis of a presentation to share back in an inquiry. Our Year 5-6 teams swear by it. It's a great way to create an original diagram to aid understanding. Very tablet friendly, I haven't used the Chromebook version - my feeling is it suits the touchscreen better (but open to feedback from anyone that has used the Chromebook version).

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 18 Sep 2015 9:16am ()

we have touch screen chromebooks, but I really don't like the idea of researching information and presenting it.  Because what exactly has happened in that process?

Our inquiry (we call it impact) is about a project that has meaning for the student, community and the world.  The focus is on actively going to places for expert information, not just using google and copying information.   Our projects are things like 'garden to table'.   Students growing food, preparing that food, marketing and packaging the product and giving or selling the product.  or gamers and coders.  Students creating a game based on their coding, and due to their knowledge of what makes games fun and enjoyable.  Visits to media design school in Auckland to find out more about coding games and asking experts about their experiences with coding games.  

I really don't like projects where students present information thats been pulled from the internet. In my opinion the learning isn't as meaningful and doesn't have the depth.

• Shane (View all users posts) 18 Sep 2015 10:19am ()

Hi Hamish - I think we're on the same page.

Presumably your inquirers have to share their understanding or learning with others at some point in the process? And they might need a way of maintaining a record of their journey through the inquiry process, or their thinking either through photographs or video or with their own visuals? I see the role of Explain Everything as a nice way of making the thinking that has gone on during the inquiry accessible to others for younger learners.

The key is that they should be using their own photos/videos/notes.

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 18 Sep 2015 10:31am ()

Yeah the students do have to show understanding of processes and even knowledge thanks to the government.  Our students make documentaries and blog about their journey using video and image/audio.  So perhaps younger students can use this software for their needs.  I'd like to see it done in context as the videos just show knowledge transfer.  I'd love someone to share a video of of their use in an authentic context.

• Steve Trotter (View all users posts) 18 Sep 2015 9:36am ()

Hi,

One of our teachers used EE on Chromebooks this week and commented that creating new 'boxes' was very gimmicky - had to move the tracking pad in direction you wanted it to create in?

So yes Shane, may not be an ideal tool for non-touch Chromes.

In saying that, it has only just been released so I would not be surprised if this is fixed soon!

Steve

• JMKellow (View all users posts) 14 Oct 2015 10:20am ()

This is a little tricky to use on a non-touchscreen chrome but is possible. Using a mouse rather than the touchpad certainly helps.

Explain Everything is a great tool not only for Flipped Learning (Teacher and/or student-created) but great for students to show their understanding or explain the strategies they use eg in solving a maths problem. A record of their learning is then kept.

Educareations is a similar product (with less features) that has a free browser version. Here are a couple of examples.
    https://www.educreations.com/lesson/view/water-cycle-k/22853189/ 

https://www.educreations.com/lesson/view/am/22853188/?s=PZMhkb 

• Jace7 (View all users posts) 14 Oct 2015 10:55pm ()

The students can use Explain everything to show their own thinking and respond to other's reports. 

In my class, they use it to evidence their learning outcomes have been met in mathematics on a weekly basis. The biggest challenge I find is some of our older Ipads don't take terrific photos. My class then set challenges for each other about their new learning, which is highly motivating and certainly isn't copied off the internet. 

They find it more simple than trying to edit video and they can easily erase it when they are not happy with it and do it again. 

I think the touchscreen is easier to use than the Google Chrome version when I tried it at home.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.