Search

Presenting student work on big screen

• Public
Started by Lynne Crowe 16 Sep 2015 11:17am () Replies (16)

We are looking at future thinking ideas for students to share their google presentations or videos with the class. At present we have a data projector connected to a teacher laptop and know that we can do it this way, but we want to give students more control. Students are mostly using chromebooks. Any ideas appreciated!

Thanks

Replies

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 16 Sep 2015 11:33am ()

What about picking up a  VGA/HDMI adapter and kids can show their work themselves.

Or have them have a page each on a Google Site to share /embed their slides/video

Or a blog with links to individual blogs on the side bar.

Or get a digital display and use a Chromecast to display work wirelessly.

https://www.diigo.com/user/allanahk/Chromecast

• Monika Kern (View all users posts) 16 Sep 2015 12:21pm ()

Re the VGA/HDMI adapter - I remember when I bought mine, it wouldn't work on my Samsung Chromebook as the adapter did not have an external power source (but it worked fine on the Apple TV so it wasn't a great waste of money). Do you know if the Chromebooks in current use need an adapter with external power?

Thanks, Monika

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 16 Sep 2015 1:11pm ()

VGA only gives out a video signal.  HDMI includes video and audio which means it must be powered.  So if you plug in an HDMI cable into an adapter VIA a VGA plug, then it wont work unless you have the added power adapter providing power for the signal.

Chromecasts are the way to go.  And TV's are also far better than projectors.   Granted they are more expensive, however if you speak to a big company like Noel Leeming or Harvey Norman, then they will sell you a demonstration model for half price!   This is what we have done.  Just purchased a 65" Smart TV for $1,500.  

Its also important to note that chromecast only use HDMI, and also need external power.  This is usually in the form of a USB plug that also plugs into the chromecast.  (just incase you buy a chromecast and don't have a dedicated HDMI or USB)

EDIT:One last thing.  Chromecast need an unfiltered internet network.  Or, upload your own firmware that allows for the user/password for the internet filtering

• Lynne Crowe (View all users posts) 16 Sep 2015 5:40pm ()

Thanks Hamish. Basically got it sorted now.

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 16 Sep 2015 11:39am ()

Chromecast

Works with an add on with any chrome  browser

• Shane (View all users posts) 16 Sep 2015 11:46am ()

A Chromecast will cost you @$60 from Noel Leeming or Dick Smith (and other places). You install the addon from The Chrome Store, and you will also need a small installation called Chromecast (instructions provided to download in packaging.

The Chromecasts work happily with any device as it's part of the Chrome browser. I use it for Ipads etc as well as I can use 1 device for all. Your TV/Screen will need a USB & HDMI port.

• Roimata Baker (View all users posts) 16 Sep 2015 11:54am ()

We use Chromecast.  Sometimes the Chromecast has gone for a walk and students have simply plugged in an HDMI cord from the tv screen in their class to the portal in their Chromebooks. 

• Lynne Crowe (View all users posts) 16 Sep 2015 12:49pm ()

Thanks everyone.

Monika I have no idea if they need external power but I'm off to Dick Smith this afternoon to get an HDMI cable and will try this directly from Chromebook to my docking station and also the TV in my room which has a chromecast (not set up yet - waiting for techie to sort out wifi).

I think TVs in classes might be the way for us to go! Has anyone advice on TVs as we have some staff who think that an Internet capable with touchscreen is essential. I would love your thoughts on that!

• Shane (View all users posts) 16 Sep 2015 4:52pm ()

I'm not sure touch is necessary - probably extra $$ that would be better used elsewhere. Internet capable you can get for nothing via the Chromecast/HDMI etc.

• Ross Hampton (View all users posts) 16 Sep 2015 1:27pm ()

Warehouse TV screens (Veon) come with a 3 year warranty and sharp pricing.....

• Katarina Moore (View all users posts) 16 Sep 2015 10:58pm ()

After purchasing a Chromecast my HDMI has become obsolete. It's quick for the kids to 'cast' from wherever they are sitting and no time wasted to change cable if another student want to share some work in another device. 

• Lynne Crowe (View all users posts) 17 Sep 2015 10:08am ()

Thanks Katrina

That's exactly what we are wanting!

• Kim Tautari-Scott (View all users posts) 17 Sep 2015 10:13am ()

Chromecast is the way to go.  Any student can cast up from anyplace.  We're heading away from HDMI with the constant changing we are going though cords galore.  We have worked it out that it is certainly the cheaper option.  With our passions classrooms we are able to cast from one class to another and actually not have to be physically in the room.  Student sharing learning. Teachers sharing lessons

However, we have found the odd student who is casting their work onto the office foyer - LOL, as we have a TV there to celebrate, notices and photos or what is happening in the school.  Our office manager runs this through a shared Google Slides.  

• Mike Clemens (View all users posts) 17 Sep 2015 11:55am ()

Like any new learning there is the pain of change. if you are lucky you have a laugh about the whole process.

Data projectors are quickly becoming obsolete tech. That lamps don't last and the repairs are horrendous. I have struggled with VGA cables and connectors for years and years. I need to share that I believe it is false economy. The future has to be screens linked wirelessly. We recently bit the bullet and invested in large TV screens and Apple TV. Since then the whole concept of sharing students' work has been almost incidental.  Yes there have been the odd situations where the wrong class got the presentation - however even these have been seen as learning  (something that we should all demonstrate as part of being life long learners).

So what's the bottom line I hear you all ask (along with . . .  who is this character?).

Laptop/tablet/device - software - wireless (or cable) - media device (Apple TV or chrome cast or similar) - HDMI - Screen

​No cables need changing and every class is connected

We wrote a fairly good proposal to a trust and detailed the items we wanted. We were awarded exactly what we asked for and we spent the money on the tech. Since then we have found screens and Apple TV fit all of our needs. There are other options but I just liked the idea that Apple TV just works and didn't need any real setup time at all.

Good Luck everyone

• Lynne Crowe (View all users posts) 17 Sep 2015 1:55pm ()

Mike, thanks so much for your informative comments. This is really useful to use as we are starting to future think our needs!

Join this group to contribute to discussions.