Search

Chromebook management question.

• Public
Started by Craig Wilkinson 14 Sep 2015 8:55pm () Replies (11)

Our school has previously purchased Chromebooks from a supplier with the Chrome device management as part of the package.  They are excellent and easy to use and we want to purchase 40 more.

The question is do we need the Chrome device management? It cost about $90 more per Chromebook to have it and we were wondering if it was essential.   We can pick up Chromebooks from retailers for under $300 but they don't come with the management system and I don't know if they include the Google Apps for Education licence.

Has anyone purchased multiple Chromebooks without Chrome device management? 

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Replies

• Steve Trotter (View all users posts) 15 Sep 2015 9:19pm ()

Hey Craig,

Someone is pulling your leg charging $90 for the console! I recently received quotes from 5 different suppliers for Chromebooks and all quoted $40 - 45 for the console.

From my experience, most of the features in the 'Management console' guide that Allanah has posted are available without the paid Management console by using the User settings within the (free) Admin Console. I know that when I change default wallpaper and push out Apps and extensions changes are instant for our student owned Chromebooks (not on Management console) and school-owned Chromebooks (on management console).

However...one 'insurance' feature that I believe makes the console worth the $40 is the tracking. All serial numbers are recorded and notes can be entered against devices - such as teacher name. If a Chromebook is ever stolen, you can remotely lock it down, so that no one can log into it, and create a message that gets displayed when it is turned on - please return this Chromebook, children use it for their learning!

Hope this helps!

Steve

Join this group to contribute to discussions.