Search

MLP or just Effective Pedagogy

Started by Neill O'Reilly 09 Sep 2015 4:56pm () Replies (64)

I am keen to find out if anyone can define MLP and if we can't, perhaps ditch the term and just talk about effective pedagogy?

Can anyone give us a succinct definition of what Modern Learning Practice / Modern Learning Pedagogies are?

Can't be about technology- not that modern (they were part of the rationale for the move to open plan units in the 1960's)

Can't be about student centred learning... being around for ever!

Can't be about having a shared vision, values and beliefs...they are not pedagogies or practices

Is it about preparing children for their future- I think thats just part of our day to day job (effective pedagogy?)

If it is about pedagogies I am wondering if there are some new modern pedagogies I am missing?

Perhaps it is about Collaborative teaching? If so lets call it that. But that seems confusing because you can go on a course to do MLP in a traditional classroom?

Be cool if it was about culturally inclusive practice (that's quite modern) but I don't think it is?

I suppose my concern is;  Have we created a new acronym for something when perhaps there is no need and it just adds to the confusion of MLE, ILE, ILS, FLS...MLP? Perhaps more importantly teachers are been led to think there is a new pedagogy or a 'modern learning practice' that is required to teach in a flexible learning space as opposed to a classroom

Really keen for some feedback....

Neill

Replies

• Leigh Hynes (View all users posts) 14 Sep 2015 10:56am ()

I think Bernice cracked it in her post.  Succinct! Yes, there is scope for a collaborative teaching book, Neill.  Are you going to write one?

• Leigh Hynes (View all users posts) 04 Oct 2015 11:38am ()

Reflecting on the discussion has really brought me back to Bolstad and Gilbert et al s work.  The themes of future oriented teaching and learning are extrmely well discussed by Gilbert and Bolstad et al and it seems to me that the ideas about MLPs that are discussed in this debate could easily be placed under the 6 headings of the themes.

1. personalised learning (any time, anywhere, incorporating self regulation or learner agency of choice and control)
    2. new views of equity and diversity (capitalising and developing individual strengths for the benefit of all to make a stronger community)
    3. new relationships with community (anywhere, anytime, relevance, use of digital technologies to support)
    4. using knowledge to build learning power (metacognition)
    5. lifelong learning for educators and leaders (working towards what works best for individual learners, reflecting on the learning, adjusting, trying new techniques and technologies
    6. new roles for teachers and learners (collaboration)
  • Leigh Hynes (View all users posts) 08 Oct 2015 9:06am ()

Educative purpose must be about preparing our learners for the future.  This is a nation wide goal, expressed succinctly in the NZ curriculum.  We want our learners to be confident connected actively involved lifelong learners so that they are prepared for the future.  Teachers are employed to achieve this end.  This is where I have a problem if a teacher responds that their "educative purpose is to be a better teacher."  What for?

I just want to add a diagram of Daniel Kims work here - the patterns of behaviour like collaboration are low on the leverage scale.  The vision is what drives the change and if you do not have shared vision or educative purpose then it will be hard to make educators understand why they are being collaborative let alone understand what they need to do to be collaborative.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.