Search

Sustainable Strategies: Integrating e-learning, leadership inquiry and classroom practice | Kōrero 14 2015

Resources and Discussion through the Years

Use these resources and Korero to gain a clear picture of leadership of e-learning planning over the past three years.

• Using the e-Learning Planning Framework – this is useful in guiding us through the use of the e-LPF
  • The e-Learning Planning Framework (eLPF) online tool is live for all schools/kura on the Enabling E-Learning  (EEL) site with full instructions and support material. Once you have created your account you can then manage your schools surveys within the e-Learning Planning Framework online tool. The MMeLPF /te Rangitukutuku (Maori Medium eLPF) tool is also available as a download on EEL.
  • Korero from Previous Years

>>> 2014 Integration of Technologies across the School Community – Korero 14

>>> 2013 Leadership and Strategic Planning for e-Learning – Korero 14

>>> 2012 The e-Learning Planning Framework – how and Why to Use it? – Korero 16

It will be best for all new posts to be in this thread so they are easier to follow.

2015 Korero 14: Sustainable strategies: integrating e-learning, leadership inquiry and classroom practice

During the last three years the discussion in this strategic Korero has focused on leadership learning about the e-Learning Planning Framework and how to use it. (See just above)

We think this year’s NAPP cohort is stepping past this level of understanding and needs to focus on teaching/learning transformations that are going on as school leaders apply inquiry learning and use the e-LPF. 

Professional learning using teacher inquiry

In this Enabling e-Learning video, Chris Allen, principal of Sacred Heart Girls' College, and Mike Wilson, ICT cluster director, share why they chose to use a teacher inquiry model as a focus for professional learning and why that approach has been so successful.

2015 Korero 14

Leadership inquiry and use of the e-Learning Planning Framework should fit well together.

• Use the elements of leadership inquiry and the e-Learning Planning Framework to support discussion on how they have in specific instances brought or are bringing about transformative change to teaching and or leadership practice
  • Explain how specific parts of the inquiry cycle, shown below, and the e-Learning Planning Framework have worked together for you and your school

Inquiry cycle

Source: Inclusive Education Guides for Schools  - original source Timperley: Teacher Professional Learning and Development.

Follow the link and look under Plan and Lead Inclusive Practices, Transitions and Pathways.

Also see:

Replies

• Bridget McDowall (View all users posts) 06 Oct 2015 1:31pm ()

Bringing Transformative Change

This year our school has taken on a new ICT journey and I was given the opportunity to lead this journey and make changes within our school. The goal of this journey was to improve e- learning in a way that would lead to improved student outcomes across our learners. This ICT journey has been my NAPP inquiry during 2015. I have discovered mostly through trial and error what works well and what doesn’t. I have spent some time looking at the Five Dimensions and carried out a survey with our staff to find out where they think we are at and where we need to go next. Overall the responses showed that staff have wide spread abilities with e-learning and the understanding of current practices within the school. Our next steps are to further develop understanding of the e-framework and set direction for 2016. From the survey I came up with a few questions for staff. What do we know? What do we need to learn next? How will we get there? How do we use ICT to improve students learning outcomes? How can we engage our community?

I have attached the link to my ICT inquiry. There is heaps of information and reflections on what we have done this year to set up the use of Chromebooks within our school.

One of the real challenges in how to measure success. How do we really know if what we are doing in  e-learning is improving students outcomes?

http://myportfolio.school.nz/user/bridgetmcdowall/ict-inquiry-reflections-domain-one?showmore=1

• Bridget McDowall (View all users posts) 06 Oct 2015 2:56pm ()

Thanks for your comments Lauren. The topic of sustainability does get me thinking. Each week I have a day teaching ICT and this day also includes teaching staff attending the sessions with their students. I think this will lead to sustainability as we all learn together in a collaborative learning environment. These weekly sessions are great in that we all learn from each other. Students discover new things that I don't know and are so willing to teach and share. They are risk takers in this environment and are not so caught up in knowing how to do things 'right'. In terms of new staff arriving, we are also developing a school ICT plan. This plan covers everything from basic computer skills to cyber safety. The plan has flexibility in that skills etc.. can be taught as and when students need. Hopefully this planning and teaching process new teachers will easily be able to come in a learn what is required and they should hopefully have a large group of ICT capable students and teachers to help them out if required. I am hoping that eventually I won't need to lead the sessions and that students and staff will continue to learn through inquiry and collaboration. Thanks Lauren for your well thought out questions!

• Bridget McDowall (View all users posts) 07 Oct 2015 5:05pm ()

Thanks Lauren,

The views of the community are certainly important and it would be good to find out what they believe the benefits and disadvantages are to having technology in the classrooms. When we looked at the 5 Dimensions as a staff, this was an area that required addressing. It would be great to get a survey out to parents to gain their thoughts moving into 2016.

• Bridget McDowall (View all users posts) 22 Nov 2015 8:57pm ()

Hi Candis,

Your post has raised some excellent points. I too lead ICT in my school and agree that things continue to change and require constant modification to keep things moving forward and to keep things relevant to current classroom practice. We have had ongoing PD this year as a staff and it has been extremely valuable to students and staff and this has changed the way that devices are used in the classrooms. There is no doubt that these devices improve student engagement, the goal now is to use the devices in a way that improve learning and student outcomes. I have seen students do some amazing things this year using Chromebooks and am looking forward to new challenges in 2016.

A couple of questions for you...

How do you manage internet safety in your school? How are you monitoring what students are doing on the devices? 

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.