Search

Sustainable Strategies: Integrating e-learning, leadership inquiry and classroom practice | Kōrero 14 2015

Resources and Discussion through the Years

Use these resources and Korero to gain a clear picture of leadership of e-learning planning over the past three years.

• Using the e-Learning Planning Framework – this is useful in guiding us through the use of the e-LPF
  • The e-Learning Planning Framework (eLPF) online tool is live for all schools/kura on the Enabling E-Learning  (EEL) site with full instructions and support material. Once you have created your account you can then manage your schools surveys within the e-Learning Planning Framework online tool. The MMeLPF /te Rangitukutuku (Maori Medium eLPF) tool is also available as a download on EEL.
  • Korero from Previous Years

>>> 2014 Integration of Technologies across the School Community – Korero 14

>>> 2013 Leadership and Strategic Planning for e-Learning – Korero 14

>>> 2012 The e-Learning Planning Framework – how and Why to Use it? – Korero 16

It will be best for all new posts to be in this thread so they are easier to follow.

2015 Korero 14: Sustainable strategies: integrating e-learning, leadership inquiry and classroom practice

During the last three years the discussion in this strategic Korero has focused on leadership learning about the e-Learning Planning Framework and how to use it. (See just above)

We think this year’s NAPP cohort is stepping past this level of understanding and needs to focus on teaching/learning transformations that are going on as school leaders apply inquiry learning and use the e-LPF. 

Professional learning using teacher inquiry

In this Enabling e-Learning video, Chris Allen, principal of Sacred Heart Girls' College, and Mike Wilson, ICT cluster director, share why they chose to use a teacher inquiry model as a focus for professional learning and why that approach has been so successful.

2015 Korero 14

Leadership inquiry and use of the e-Learning Planning Framework should fit well together.

• Use the elements of leadership inquiry and the e-Learning Planning Framework to support discussion on how they have in specific instances brought or are bringing about transformative change to teaching and or leadership practice
  • Explain how specific parts of the inquiry cycle, shown below, and the e-Learning Planning Framework have worked together for you and your school

Inquiry cycle

Source: Inclusive Education Guides for Schools  - original source Timperley: Teacher Professional Learning and Development.

Follow the link and look under Plan and Lead Inclusive Practices, Transitions and Pathways.

Also see:

Replies

• Bridget Davidson (View all users posts) 07 Nov 2015 1:10pm ()

I am really interested in this discussion as we have effectively had some BYOD at school for several years now, but are about to formalise this with our Year 9s next year - being totally BYOD - and encouraging it with the rest of the school as well. 

I can see the u-learn issue above but can equally see that those teachers will be able to contribute in the new schools to which they go, so it is not a loss overall. Some of the u-learn inspiration will still exist beyond them in the school. 

I guess what we are noticing is that the technology - in particular the Google technologies - (Docs, Sites, Classroom in particular) and other web-based technology are catching up and replacing many older interfaces (Moodle, Ultranet etc.) both for students and teachers. This is exciting as we need to remember that the technology just gets easier and easier. We used to have to have tutorials and a long list of instructions to do very basic things whereas now, it is all fairly intuitive - and if it isn't then we tend not to use it. 

I guess I notice that the Year 9s at school are far ahead of the Year 13s in terms of keeping everything sorted and organised in Google Docs. I feel the students should drive the changes (coupled with a robust wireless system) rather than focussing on teacher expertise. This year I made two lots of movies with my Yr 10 English class using just their phones (one per group and then online editing on their phones). I have no idea how to do this but the films were uploaded and shared in a few periods and were excellent. When they had a problem they simply asked other students - all produced with a few phones. We just need to let go of the control a bit and trust a few experts in the class to lead the way. 

This of course is frightening when we have so far had a very systematic approach to technology and its implementation. We will only succeed in letting go - by engaging students and injecting a bit of fun and life into the classroom. Equally it is great for student -teacher relationships to be sharing this sort of experience. The thing to remember is that everything should be balanced, and a blended approach is the only way forward. There should be writing, reading, oral and group activities as well. There should be silent and noisy work times. Lessons should cater for all types of learning styles over time and be inclusive. Building the class environment and having everyone on board is paramount. 

In the final analysis they are just tools and really it is the student learning that should drive every decision we make as teachers. Engagement is surely a part of this - as are professional presentation and organisation - which can be accessed through e-learning.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.