Search

Sustainable Strategies: Integrating e-learning, leadership inquiry and classroom practice | Kōrero 14 2015

Resources and Discussion through the Years

Use these resources and Korero to gain a clear picture of leadership of e-learning planning over the past three years.

• Using the e-Learning Planning Framework – this is useful in guiding us through the use of the e-LPF
  • The e-Learning Planning Framework (eLPF) online tool is live for all schools/kura on the Enabling E-Learning  (EEL) site with full instructions and support material. Once you have created your account you can then manage your schools surveys within the e-Learning Planning Framework online tool. The MMeLPF /te Rangitukutuku (Maori Medium eLPF) tool is also available as a download on EEL.
  • Korero from Previous Years

>>> 2014 Integration of Technologies across the School Community – Korero 14

>>> 2013 Leadership and Strategic Planning for e-Learning – Korero 14

>>> 2012 The e-Learning Planning Framework – how and Why to Use it? – Korero 16

It will be best for all new posts to be in this thread so they are easier to follow.

2015 Korero 14: Sustainable strategies: integrating e-learning, leadership inquiry and classroom practice

During the last three years the discussion in this strategic Korero has focused on leadership learning about the e-Learning Planning Framework and how to use it. (See just above)

We think this year’s NAPP cohort is stepping past this level of understanding and needs to focus on teaching/learning transformations that are going on as school leaders apply inquiry learning and use the e-LPF. 

Professional learning using teacher inquiry

In this Enabling e-Learning video, Chris Allen, principal of Sacred Heart Girls' College, and Mike Wilson, ICT cluster director, share why they chose to use a teacher inquiry model as a focus for professional learning and why that approach has been so successful.

2015 Korero 14

Leadership inquiry and use of the e-Learning Planning Framework should fit well together.

• Use the elements of leadership inquiry and the e-Learning Planning Framework to support discussion on how they have in specific instances brought or are bringing about transformative change to teaching and or leadership practice
  • Explain how specific parts of the inquiry cycle, shown below, and the e-Learning Planning Framework have worked together for you and your school

Inquiry cycle

Source: Inclusive Education Guides for Schools  - original source Timperley: Teacher Professional Learning and Development.

Follow the link and look under Plan and Lead Inclusive Practices, Transitions and Pathways.

Also see:

Replies

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 24 Nov 2015 11:27am ()

Hi Jane, thank you for the practical ideas around clarifying, documenting and teaching Digital Citizenship. Some questions to further your thinking in relation to the e-Learning Planning Framework, can be found in Enabling e-Learning | Digital Citizenship page in TKI.

As you say, finding the current state of play is important. A good place to start is NetSafe's kit for schools. The kit includes 7 steps:

.... as well as three digital citizenship surveys, which is a great place to start if you want to find out where people are at.

Integrating Digital Citizenship into the curriculum sits alongside your vision for learners. If you want them to digitally savvy, then all teachers may want to role-model what this looks like and integrate the key elements into deliberate acts of teaching in each of their fields. Some schools have chosen to create units of work (each faculty has been responsible for creating a module) focused on teaching aspects of Digital Citizenship (cyber safety, digital literacy, digital identity).  There are some links to view and follow-up with at the end of the following Prezi presentation including resources from Warren Grieve and Digizen.

• Carl Condliffe (View all users posts) 24 Nov 2015 9:59am ()

How exactly do you plan on using the SAMR model Katie? Is it just a feedback continuum for staff and their approach to technology or are you using it as a guide to plan your professional development etc?

I remember having a confused staffroom when I discussed the SAMR model (most likely useless presenting!), but I found this image that was a little more layman friendly when describing the model!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BZ9Y7wMCQAEP989.jpg

• Carl Condliffe (View all users posts) 24 Nov 2015 9:52am ()

I really like the e-Learning Planning Framework. It clearly outlines the "evolution" of a school with regard to their integration of technology in meaningful ways. I actually wish I had seen this document a lot earlier than I had!

I have taught in two schools at the time they were implementing their BYOD / e-Learning plans, and I must say that one school implemented it significantly better than the other. The big difference between the two was the Pre Emerging phase of the eLPF. There was a really strong direction and focus provided by the leadership team who had created goals linking to the schools strategic plan. As the school moved into the Emerging phase (which lasted 1-2 years) the staff were given significant PD and support in looking at meaningful uses of technology in the classroom - Less substitution and more authentic approaches! That particular school transitioned into each phase in a positive manner and both students and teachers were better positioned for it.

The other school took more of a "provide the infrastructure and devices" approach and hoped for the best. Safe to say that staff confidence is lower than it could be and technology is not really embedded as it could / should be.

• kim pewhairangi (View all users posts) 22 Nov 2015 11:22pm ()

This year a colleague suggested we add a Whanau feedback slide into our Student Lead electronic portfolio, which we had just moved up into Google slides, where whanau can see what their taonga are doing and give feedback. This was another great way to engage our Whanau with their child's learning, showing them just how much work, thought, time and effort goes into making a 'simple' slide. We have been slowly nudging our colleagues along using Google Docs, as well as our own class/student learners, who in turn share on their knowledge. Barriers to this are lack of internet in homes, but we encourage our whanau to visit the library where there are computers and free wifi.

Our colleagues have appreciated the shared planning, but we are now taking it a step further, and only sharing as a 'view only doc' ( forcing ) gently nudging them to learn how to make a copy for themselves. All minutes are done via Docs, with collaborative minute takers. Next step is to become a GAFE school! Love e-learning! 

• Piata Allen (View all users posts) 22 Nov 2015 10:51pm ()

I am interested in the high uptake and usage of free software in classrooms. Are we fully aware of the terms and conditions that we are signing ourselves and our students up to? What is the role of the school in educating students about the collection of data through free software? 

• Sharelle Donaldson (View all users posts) 22 Nov 2015 9:23pm ()

We are in enviroments were some people are quick to jump on and try new ideas and move from there.   We have people who are slow to move, but with support will learn new ideas and then the ones that are hard to shift. 

Like Steve said how do we shift those towards the many benefits of the growing technology we are surrounded with? I too remember Jane Gilbert and her challenging presentation at this years NAPP conference in her word: The world is changing, unpredictable.  People need to be able to know what to do when we do not know the answer.

Her answers were:

We need to prepare people, not for the  known or even likely outcomes, but to be agile enough to face any possibility.

How can we connect/collaborate/think with diverse others ‘in the network’?

Diversity encouraged, not assimilated

Intellectual agility through existing knowledge

Spaces between+collective cognition= very different thought system, very different

It is change that has to take place and the plans will evolve.

• Bridget McDowall (View all users posts) 22 Nov 2015 8:57pm ()

Hi Candis,

Your post has raised some excellent points. I too lead ICT in my school and agree that things continue to change and require constant modification to keep things moving forward and to keep things relevant to current classroom practice. We have had ongoing PD this year as a staff and it has been extremely valuable to students and staff and this has changed the way that devices are used in the classrooms. There is no doubt that these devices improve student engagement, the goal now is to use the devices in a way that improve learning and student outcomes. I have seen students do some amazing things this year using Chromebooks and am looking forward to new challenges in 2016.

A couple of questions for you...

How do you manage internet safety in your school? How are you monitoring what students are doing on the devices? 

• Katie Macfarlane (View all users posts) 22 Nov 2015 3:50pm ()

I agree with you Jill - at the moment digital technology has not been 'normalised' within schools. I think this is mostly because many are still grappling with infrastructure and decisions around the 'what and how'. We are looking at the SAMR model in our school for next year and what is clear is that whilst many of the students are functioning at a transformational level in the way that they use technology themselves, many schools and teachers are still using technology as substitution/augmentation tools. A school-wide philosophy that has ako at its heart is so important - we can learn so much from the students in this area! We also have to be able to accept that we won't necessarily have the expertise within our own schools to help us, so we have to be prepared to collaborate with the wider community to seek new knowledge and ideas. We had an example where we were debating over the costs of hiring lighting equipment and technicians to bring to life the creative ideas of the students. It was expensive and looking like we would need a reduced option. One of the students came to us with an app that he had designed to run the lighting so that we could save ourselves some money. None of us had that capability! There are so many possibilities if we are open to new ways of doing things.

• Doug Walker (View all users posts) 22 Nov 2015 3:41pm ()

Hi Suzanne,

"It could just as easily remove parents further from their child's learning if it wasn't the right community and it is a risk our school needs to actively manage (ensuring some parents get sent PDFs once a term of the comments etc)"

So true! We moved to Kamar this year, and delved into the use of parent portal. The move away from paper based reporting has been welcomed by staff. In speaking to parents I noticed some less positive feedback, particularly contrasting our old system where weekly notes (tracking) was emailed or posted out. As you indicate, responses from a subsequent parent survey showed some parents don't check it due to a range of issues (too busy/forget to check/ forget password) and miss the convenience of regular emails.

It would be great if Kamar notified students & parents when information on portal is updated, or parents could opt in to an automatic email of any comments. I've submitted a request to helpdesk. Another thought was to have a 'reply' button in parent portal to provide easy communication between teachers/students/parents - I wonder what the pros and cons of this would be.

• Paul Firth (View all users posts) 21 Nov 2015 12:38pm ()

I think the point about key competencies is well made. In my opinion, they are the most things we should be teaching our students. As well as these key competencies, we have been introduced to these 21st Century skills at our school.  They are; Collaboration, Knowledge construction, self regulation, Real world problem solving and innovation, and use of ICT for Learning. This site has more information and examples. https://www.educatornetwork.com/PD/21CLD/Overview/

All 5 of the skills can have a relevance when talking about e learning, but I guess use of ICT for learning is the one that is specific for e learning. The question they ask is ‘Are students passive consumers of ICT, active users, or designers of an ICT product for an authentic audience?’ That to me, is the challenge we have when developing e learning activities if we would like our students to get the maximum benefit.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.