Search

Sustainable Strategies: Integrating e-learning, leadership inquiry and classroom practice | Kōrero 14 2015

Resources and Discussion through the Years

Use these resources and Korero to gain a clear picture of leadership of e-learning planning over the past three years.

• Using the e-Learning Planning Framework – this is useful in guiding us through the use of the e-LPF
  • The e-Learning Planning Framework (eLPF) online tool is live for all schools/kura on the Enabling E-Learning  (EEL) site with full instructions and support material. Once you have created your account you can then manage your schools surveys within the e-Learning Planning Framework online tool. The MMeLPF /te Rangitukutuku (Maori Medium eLPF) tool is also available as a download on EEL.
  • Korero from Previous Years

>>> 2014 Integration of Technologies across the School Community – Korero 14

>>> 2013 Leadership and Strategic Planning for e-Learning – Korero 14

>>> 2012 The e-Learning Planning Framework – how and Why to Use it? – Korero 16

It will be best for all new posts to be in this thread so they are easier to follow.

2015 Korero 14: Sustainable strategies: integrating e-learning, leadership inquiry and classroom practice

During the last three years the discussion in this strategic Korero has focused on leadership learning about the e-Learning Planning Framework and how to use it. (See just above)

We think this year’s NAPP cohort is stepping past this level of understanding and needs to focus on teaching/learning transformations that are going on as school leaders apply inquiry learning and use the e-LPF. 

Professional learning using teacher inquiry

In this Enabling e-Learning video, Chris Allen, principal of Sacred Heart Girls' College, and Mike Wilson, ICT cluster director, share why they chose to use a teacher inquiry model as a focus for professional learning and why that approach has been so successful.

2015 Korero 14

Leadership inquiry and use of the e-Learning Planning Framework should fit well together.

• Use the elements of leadership inquiry and the e-Learning Planning Framework to support discussion on how they have in specific instances brought or are bringing about transformative change to teaching and or leadership practice
  • Explain how specific parts of the inquiry cycle, shown below, and the e-Learning Planning Framework have worked together for you and your school

Inquiry cycle

Source: Inclusive Education Guides for Schools  - original source Timperley: Teacher Professional Learning and Development.

Follow the link and look under Plan and Lead Inclusive Practices, Transitions and Pathways.

Also see:

Replies

• Lisa Larwood (View all users posts) 16 Nov 2015 9:48pm ()

Yes , the technology is a tool and in my experience is being used with varying effectivness.  If we can engage our students without tecnology, can't we just teach literacy and numeracy.

In some schools, availablility to access a 'digitial class' is an equity issue.  We can't forget that!

• Rachel Johnston (View all users posts) 17 Nov 2015 7:31am ()

Something my school has been working on is using e-learning to engage with our community more. We are discovering ways to involve parents in the learning of their students and to get them interacting in this learning. Some of these have been successful and others are a work in progress. 

At each step we have asked the community how the new initiatives have been working and tried to change what we have been doing to work better. We use blogs to show what is happening in the classroom, and email parents when new information is going on the blog, we have a digital newsletter that can have videos and photo feeds, this is emailed to all parents, work in class is shared via google docs. 

I do not think that it is a case of trying to increase the use of digital technology in the school but to ensure that what we are using it for has a real purpose. 

• Denise Johnson (View all users posts) 19 Nov 2015 5:19pm ()

As a school we were really excited to jump on the bandwagon and bring in BYOD. However the most valuable thing it has taught me about leadership is to lead by co constructing a vision for e-learning first! Create one using staff, student and Whānau voice, as well as professional experts and then you are all on the journey together. If not, then things quickly fall apart and it is not sustainable as the foundations haven’t been put in place.

Once your vision as a school is created then as the principal and ICT director from Sacred Heart College indicated the keys to success are:-

• to be collaborative (both within your school and the wider community)

• to scaffold each other’s learning, using the principle of  ako as no one has all the answers and often students know more than the teachers

• Giving regular time for practice.

• Create systems to help teachers manage and monitor online learning otherwise it can become very daunting for many.

• As a leader, lead using the inquiry cycle so that both staff are constantly reflecting and considering ICT and how it can be used effectively for  learning schoolwide.

Visions can change and evolve as staff and students develop changing needs but without one to begin with, e-learning can quickly become overshadowed with problems not solutions.

As I have made this journey over this year, regarding our e-learning vision, I have found the VLN forums to be a fantastic avenue for ideas and expert advice so thanks to all those who have posted some great ideas and learning!

• Piata Allen (View all users posts) 22 Nov 2015 10:51pm ()

I am interested in the high uptake and usage of free software in classrooms. Are we fully aware of the terms and conditions that we are signing ourselves and our students up to? What is the role of the school in educating students about the collection of data through free software? 

• kim pewhairangi (View all users posts) 22 Nov 2015 11:22pm ()

This year a colleague suggested we add a Whanau feedback slide into our Student Lead electronic portfolio, which we had just moved up into Google slides, where whanau can see what their taonga are doing and give feedback. This was another great way to engage our Whanau with their child's learning, showing them just how much work, thought, time and effort goes into making a 'simple' slide. We have been slowly nudging our colleagues along using Google Docs, as well as our own class/student learners, who in turn share on their knowledge. Barriers to this are lack of internet in homes, but we encourage our whanau to visit the library where there are computers and free wifi.

Our colleagues have appreciated the shared planning, but we are now taking it a step further, and only sharing as a 'view only doc' ( forcing ) gently nudging them to learn how to make a copy for themselves. All minutes are done via Docs, with collaborative minute takers. Next step is to become a GAFE school! Love e-learning! 

• Carl Condliffe (View all users posts) 24 Nov 2015 9:52am ()

I really like the e-Learning Planning Framework. It clearly outlines the "evolution" of a school with regard to their integration of technology in meaningful ways. I actually wish I had seen this document a lot earlier than I had!

I have taught in two schools at the time they were implementing their BYOD / e-Learning plans, and I must say that one school implemented it significantly better than the other. The big difference between the two was the Pre Emerging phase of the eLPF. There was a really strong direction and focus provided by the leadership team who had created goals linking to the schools strategic plan. As the school moved into the Emerging phase (which lasted 1-2 years) the staff were given significant PD and support in looking at meaningful uses of technology in the classroom - Less substitution and more authentic approaches! That particular school transitioned into each phase in a positive manner and both students and teachers were better positioned for it.

The other school took more of a "provide the infrastructure and devices" approach and hoped for the best. Safe to say that staff confidence is lower than it could be and technology is not really embedded as it could / should be.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.