Search

Sustainable Strategies: Integrating e-learning, leadership inquiry and classroom practice | Kōrero 14 2015

Resources and Discussion through the Years

Use these resources and Korero to gain a clear picture of leadership of e-learning planning over the past three years.

• Using the e-Learning Planning Framework – this is useful in guiding us through the use of the e-LPF
  • The e-Learning Planning Framework (eLPF) online tool is live for all schools/kura on the Enabling E-Learning  (EEL) site with full instructions and support material. Once you have created your account you can then manage your schools surveys within the e-Learning Planning Framework online tool. The MMeLPF /te Rangitukutuku (Maori Medium eLPF) tool is also available as a download on EEL.
  • Korero from Previous Years

>>> 2014 Integration of Technologies across the School Community – Korero 14

>>> 2013 Leadership and Strategic Planning for e-Learning – Korero 14

>>> 2012 The e-Learning Planning Framework – how and Why to Use it? – Korero 16

It will be best for all new posts to be in this thread so they are easier to follow.

2015 Korero 14: Sustainable strategies: integrating e-learning, leadership inquiry and classroom practice

During the last three years the discussion in this strategic Korero has focused on leadership learning about the e-Learning Planning Framework and how to use it. (See just above)

We think this year’s NAPP cohort is stepping past this level of understanding and needs to focus on teaching/learning transformations that are going on as school leaders apply inquiry learning and use the e-LPF. 

Professional learning using teacher inquiry

In this Enabling e-Learning video, Chris Allen, principal of Sacred Heart Girls' College, and Mike Wilson, ICT cluster director, share why they chose to use a teacher inquiry model as a focus for professional learning and why that approach has been so successful.

2015 Korero 14

Leadership inquiry and use of the e-Learning Planning Framework should fit well together.

• Use the elements of leadership inquiry and the e-Learning Planning Framework to support discussion on how they have in specific instances brought or are bringing about transformative change to teaching and or leadership practice
  • Explain how specific parts of the inquiry cycle, shown below, and the e-Learning Planning Framework have worked together for you and your school

Inquiry cycle

Source: Inclusive Education Guides for Schools  - original source Timperley: Teacher Professional Learning and Development.

Follow the link and look under Plan and Lead Inclusive Practices, Transitions and Pathways.

Also see:

Replies

• richardgeorge (View all users posts) 10 Oct 2015 5:28pm ()

We are currently engaging in the inquiry cycle as to how a significant investment in technology has (and is) supported outcomes for learning and teaching.  In a school of 700 intermediate students, we have invested $180 000 over 3 years in technology for classroom use (including some infrastructure), so we are looking at how the programme has been enhanced by this.  

Initial data suggests that in relation to the SMAR model,  teachers are mostly working at the level of substitution, or enhancement.  

One resource we found useful in supporting teachers in this process is the padagogy wheel, where APPs and examples of activities that can support learning using IT are linked to blooms taxonomy.  While the lack of technology was identified as an issue, we are now aware that a depth of teacher knowledge about how learning activities can be modified and re-defined are key areas requiring support in order to achieve outcomes supported by technology 

• Felicity Fahey (View all users posts) 11 Oct 2015 11:58am ()

It is interesting reading what other think and reading what their journeys have been.  Integrating e-learning into a school programme can have many variables to it - the competency/confidence/willingness of staff, access to devices, quality of infrastructure can all make a difference.

I have been lucky to have had much professional learning around using digital technologies in the classroom and have led our school on much of this journey with other colleagues. One of the models that has already been mentioned is the SAMR model.  I believe the app/tools that we use should be used when they enhance and transform the learning rather than than tools first and then made to fit the learning.

Our journey has been at times a long slow road; change of staff/staff not confident, only recently getting UFB (this was a major in our progress), amount of digital devices for students to use. We now have UFB and have just started to implement BYOD.  Both are helping us make progress forward.  I agree with what Cheryl Doig said in her intro video - a school has to have an agreed understanding of what it is and how it is going to make a difference to their students, that this needs to come first.  There also has to be a commitment from staff, that it is going to be difficult at times, that we have steps  and plans in place for when that happens, that there will be support.  Staff also need time to play with the technology, the more comfortable the teacher is with the technology the more they will use it in their classrooms.  The other exciting part of e-learning is its not just about being on devices and using apps, it more importantly connecting with the world for our learning in powerful ways, this is the really exciting part.  Giving our students an audience from outside their own school.  

We have been using the eLPF with support from our PLD facilitators from Core Ed.  This has made us think critically about what we do and more importantly the WHY.  It has been good to have support to use this framework to have outside input and questions.

• Tracey Hopkins (View all users posts) 17 Oct 2015 9:50pm ()

We are a digital 1: 1 IPAD school for Years 3 - 6. I had not seen or heard of the e-Learning Planning Framework. This is such a valuable resource as it helps schools reflect on their practices without having to develop their own tools for doing so and as it is available to all schools then the assumption would be that there would be growing consistency of pedagogy and practice.

Like others we use the SAMR model and have a similar emphasis on the Transformation phases. We are a large school and my observation is that lots of talk, models and modelling need to be given for teachers to fully understand the modification and redefinition stages. For some teachers there can be a tendency  to keep working in the substitution stages or to fall back into these stages after the initial introductory phase. So best practice needs to be shared continually over time, not just at the beginning and systems need to be in place to monitor how the technology is being used and how positive student outcomes are being planned for. Having it tie in with student achievement in particular priority learners, and TAI is a great way to ensure that ongoing tracking, reflection and adjustment of practice happens as a natural part of teacher practice.

The elements that I think are particularly valuable from the e-Learning Planning Framework is that way that each dimension can reflected on as an entity in itself. I would see this being used in our school over the course of at least a year - reflecting and then planning as a result. My preference would be start with the learning and teaching dimension as it would be vital for all decisions and change to always be considering how student outcomes are improved and I would start with the element of 'a clear focus on student achievement'. Hence modelling the priority of this consideration for all decision making.

• Kate Dare (View all users posts) 19 Oct 2015 9:55pm ()

This year I have used the e-Learning Planning Framework to strategically plan for the development of e-Learning within school. As part of this process I consulted with the staff and BOT to develop an e-learning vision for the school, this linked to our school vision. I evaluated where our school lay on the e-learning planning framework (i.e. whether we were pre-emerging, emerging, engaging, extending or empowering) in relation to its different domains; beyond the classroom, learning and teaching, professional learning, leadership and strategic direction, technologies and infrastructure. I then set goals about where we would like to be. As part of this process identified, we identified what e-learning educational outcomes are valued for our learners and how our learners are doing in relation to this. A 3 year strategic plan fell out of this, which in turn informed the e-learning and ICT action plan for 2015.

As ICT and e-learning leader, this strategic thinking has given me direction to improve my professional knowledge and skills in relation to e-learning to improve outcomes for learners, particularly in relation to our it can be used to support the development of student self-direction as part of my leadership inquiry (e.g. use of Google Classroom).  This has in turn lead to the engagement of learners within the Senior school in new learning experience using Google Drive for collaboration and self-direction.  This is having a positive impact of learners ability to self-manage.

• Stu Devenport (View all users posts) 21 Oct 2015 11:45am ()

As a first time principal about to start in the new year, the e-learning planning framework looks like an ideal resource to evaluate where my new school is currently placed and defining a clear direction for the future in regards to IT. The school has invested a considerable amount of money into hardware, particularly in the senior school, to ensure their students have close to 1:1 in each class. I have already had a lot of questions from members on the board wanting to know if the investment is really paying off for their students and more importantly, how do we know.

I think using this framework with all stakeholders will be really effective in developing a shared understanding of the effective use of this hardware throughout the school. It will also give me a clear plan of attack for future development. I would also like to see my teachers use this along their teaching inquiry so they focus on their own personal and professional growth.

• Kaye Gillies (View all users posts) 24 Oct 2015 9:43pm ()

Thanks Stu.  I am currently in the process of applying for a principal role and like you see the value of the e-planning framework tool.  What I like about this tool is that the framework is that acknowledges schools are on a journey with developing ICT skills dispositions etc.  It provides a way of talking about where we are and invites development by clearly outlining practical next steps.  I don't know where the school I am applying for is at and if I don't get this one where the next one will be but it is comforting to know someone else has put in some robust thinking and creating a document that can guide from all/any starting point. 

P.S. All the best for your new job :)

• DiWilkes (View all users posts) 26 Oct 2015 12:19pm ()

In my previous role as a Learning with Digital Technologies (LwDT)Facilitator for Cognition Education (Te Toi Tupu) I was able to support a variety of schools in using the eLPF and the Teaching as Inquiry Model to strategically plan for infrastructure needs (including BYOD), digital citizenship programmes, responsive professional learning, teaching and learning strategies and home-school partnerships.  These partnerships involved examining the school charter and annual plans to identify their strategic direction and ensure LwDT supported, coupled and scaffolded as required.  Doing an initial self assessment (either digitally or on paper) was a very eye opening exercise.  It often highlighted the beliefs and fears of a staff that the SLT was unaware of. Once the self-assessment is complete everyone is better positioned to determine next steps.  Usually, the team would complete the eLPF assessment again at the end of the year to measure gains and prioritize gaps for the next year.  The educators who used Teaching as Inquiry to frame their own learning while responding to the needs of priority learners reflected on how valuable the process was once they ‘really’ engaged with it.  These are three of my favourite videos from the media gallery in the enabling eLearning site that I often used to help visualise and/or provocate!  Enjoy.

In my current role as Associate Leader of Learning (DP) I was very fortunate to be part of the ‘design team’!  While we were mapping out the strategic direction for the school we were able to ensure that digital technologies were ‘just part of how we do what we do’.  It is an expectation that all learners and educators engage and utilise various DTs to enhance, modify and transform their own learning and that of their learners.  Therefore, instead of the DTs being the focus of our collaborative Spiral of Inquiries they are simply used as creation, reflection and learning tools.  It is much more organic this way and the focus is then on the learning outcomes for our educators and our learners and not on the technology.  In the other schools I have worked in there is such a tension between supporting the educators ‘where they are at’ and educators who resist change.  We are fortunate to have designed an amazing team.

eg. One of our team inquiry hunches is around “We wonder if using our Learning Model will stretch the learning potential of learning in their iExplore learning adventures?” and this has involved professional readings to validate our learning model, exploring of other school’s inquiry models- essentially critiquing them and comparing them to our Learning Model, learning about how to effectively conference with learners, creating digital templates of our Learning Model, reflecting along the way and gathering learner voice.  Note that the reflections and feedback are all in google docs, sites and blogs, the templates are google docs and apps and the learner voice is gathered through google forms/padlets etc.  The DTs enable us to transform the inquiry because they empower us to do things that are less possible without them.  It is early days- and this is only one iteration, but as SLT we are pleased with the growth, the challenged assumptions and the reflection that have evolved.

As a collective, 21st century educators, I believe, have an inherent responsibility to grow their eLearning capabilities in order to support learners.  The problem can be that teachers often think that means they need to be experts in all things digital and this isn’t true, or possible.  I believe this means we need to relinquish some control and enable learner agency- at the transformational level of the SAMR model or the RAT model.  For example, if we provide the success criteria- leave it up to the learners to create ANY product that can demonstrate their new learning, their co-constructed knowledge and allow them to engage in the ever expanding knowledge network.

RAT.004-001.jpgimages-3.jpg

• Kaye Gillies (View all users posts) 26 Oct 2015 4:50pm ()

Di

It is great to hear how useful you have found e-learning planning tool. Thank you also for sharing the video links.  I have had a listen and appreciate these too.

Nga Mihi Nui

Kaye

• Heidi Moeller (View all users posts) 26 Oct 2015 1:47pm ()

At our school we have linked the Ariki model of the inquiry cycle with the e-Learning Planning Framework.  It has been very successful for the teachers that are highly motivated by e-Learning. This motivation has had a flow on effect to other staff members being encouraged or themselves motivated to try new things with e-Learning knowing they have colleagues to go to assist if needed.  For the leadership team our investment of money, PD, time and collaboration into e-Learning has been a positive experience where all staff whether the Principal, DP, Lead Teacher or a classroom teacher have collaborated together to support all aspects of the five dimensions.  Our most important discovery / realisation that staff have found is the technology is a tool that assists learning activities.  Our amazing staff that are very passionate, can enhance the learning for their children through sound pedagogical practices and the use of technology.

Our school is going through a review of our strategic direction and the e-Learning Planning Framework will assist us in meeting our vision for the future.  We have had a change of principal in the last year and this document will assist him.  This framework is a great tool to go back to year after year.  As staff changes the framework plots strengths and weaknesses and gives a direction for the future.

• Cherie (View all users posts) 26 Oct 2015 9:45pm ()

2 years ago we received funding for E-Learning Development.  Unfortunately there was a lot of resistance to the kaupapa and to the process.  It's been interesting at our school as we have a MLE classroom but the implementation of it was founded on no collaboration and or pedagogy behind it.  I have always been interested in using e-learning tools within my own class and have watched some teachers grab a hold of it with a passion and some avoid it like the plague :) Everything starts somewhere.  I like the E-learning Framework as it gives you a starting point and progressions to work within your school.  The amalgamation of e-learning and teacher inquiry framework weave in well together.  When teachers have some power over their own professional learning there is more buy in.  I found at our school the teachers did not know why we were doing e-learning PD and so their was a disconnection from the purpose. I have been out of the school studying this year.  It will be interesting going back to see what progress the school has made around MLE pedagogies, teachers working more collaboratively and how that information has been shared to those who are not in MLE and the highs and lows of these new learning environments.  I am really interested in this topic :)

• Kaye Gillies (View all users posts) 27 Oct 2015 6:49pm ()

Hi Cherrie

It is interesting to hear about your schools  MLE.  I will also be interested in the progress made in the school with the MLE as I am interested to hear if and how a comeback can be made for a project that clearly got off to a very poor start.  

Wishing you all the best 
    Kaye

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.