Search

Sustainable Strategies: Integrating e-learning, leadership inquiry and classroom practice | Kōrero 14 2015

Resources and Discussion through the Years

Use these resources and Korero to gain a clear picture of leadership of e-learning planning over the past three years.

• Using the e-Learning Planning Framework – this is useful in guiding us through the use of the e-LPF
  • The e-Learning Planning Framework (eLPF) online tool is live for all schools/kura on the Enabling E-Learning  (EEL) site with full instructions and support material. Once you have created your account you can then manage your schools surveys within the e-Learning Planning Framework online tool. The MMeLPF /te Rangitukutuku (Maori Medium eLPF) tool is also available as a download on EEL.
  • Korero from Previous Years

>>> 2014 Integration of Technologies across the School Community – Korero 14

>>> 2013 Leadership and Strategic Planning for e-Learning – Korero 14

>>> 2012 The e-Learning Planning Framework – how and Why to Use it? – Korero 16

It will be best for all new posts to be in this thread so they are easier to follow.

2015 Korero 14: Sustainable strategies: integrating e-learning, leadership inquiry and classroom practice

During the last three years the discussion in this strategic Korero has focused on leadership learning about the e-Learning Planning Framework and how to use it. (See just above)

We think this year’s NAPP cohort is stepping past this level of understanding and needs to focus on teaching/learning transformations that are going on as school leaders apply inquiry learning and use the e-LPF. 

Professional learning using teacher inquiry

In this Enabling e-Learning video, Chris Allen, principal of Sacred Heart Girls' College, and Mike Wilson, ICT cluster director, share why they chose to use a teacher inquiry model as a focus for professional learning and why that approach has been so successful.

2015 Korero 14

Leadership inquiry and use of the e-Learning Planning Framework should fit well together.

• Use the elements of leadership inquiry and the e-Learning Planning Framework to support discussion on how they have in specific instances brought or are bringing about transformative change to teaching and or leadership practice
  • Explain how specific parts of the inquiry cycle, shown below, and the e-Learning Planning Framework have worked together for you and your school

Inquiry cycle

Source: Inclusive Education Guides for Schools  - original source Timperley: Teacher Professional Learning and Development.

Follow the link and look under Plan and Lead Inclusive Practices, Transitions and Pathways.

Also see:

Replies

• Teata Ateriano (View all users posts) 20 Sep 2015 7:38pm ()

Thank you Ange - interesting reading indeed and very exciting. As Frances Valintine says "The ability to problem solve challenges, find solutions and to collaborate with others are critical capabilities valued by employees." With e - learning initiatives changing rapidly, we as an educator need to be resilient thinkers and continue to develop innovation and creativity on our learning journey.

• Anjela Webster (View all users posts) 20 Sep 2015 8:00pm ()

It is exciting and challenging times to be an educator or a student, (or both!) however, it cannot be said that all digital opportunities, nor learner agency experiences are provided equally for NZ students; and while many students may come through competently as described by Valintine, there will be still many who are not yet at that place in our Primary and Intermediate schools. This is due to the challenges that individual schools face; diversity of school communities; geographic location of some schools; stages of expertise of staff; access and procurement of devices; pedagogy knowledge; implementation of research and best practice for learners and their particular needs.

While there will no doubt be various challenges for High schools, I think we need to be careful of sweeping assumptions about the 'state of competence' of a certain age group and the implications on another 'learning sector'.

I believe that part of becoming agents of their own learning, younger students could be encouraged to forge collaborative projects with schools and students which are representative of their next stage of progression - e.g. Primary/intermediate. Intermediate/H.S. And all those 'in-between' linkages with Full Primary etc.

That's my thoughts on a cold miserable day :)
    Cheers
    Anjela

• Kristie Thomas (View all users posts) 20 Sep 2015 10:23pm ()

I agree that we need to develop teacher pedagogy rather than simply introducing the tools into the classroom. I think we are all well aware that the tools alone will not raise student achievement. One thing I have really noticed though, is the raise in student engagement (especially with the boys within Written Language).

Using the chrome books to complete their written work has increased their motivation and engagement. Sharing their work with the teacher and instantly receiving feedback (rather than waiting their turn to have their books marked) has certainly made a noticeable difference in the amount of quality work they are able to produce in a lesson. This has then increased the amount of content taught, support/ feedback given and the identification of next steps.

Surely if students are more motivated, are more engaged, and are seeking more feedback to assist them with identifying their next learning steps, it could lead to an improvement in the achievement within that subject. The tool/device itself will not do the job on it's own, but they certainly play an important part in raising student achievement. 

• Debra Wood (View all users posts) 30 Sep 2015 3:19pm ()

I agree Kirsty technology engages the boys in written work far more than pen and paper.  Our pedagogy has to embrace technology and use the Internet to empower all students.  No-longer is teaching lost in the moment but can be recorded and re-played, differing visual representations can be accessed, varying levels of text and narrative, puzzles and games to back up, interactive quizzes to check vocab and understanding.  The wide variety of resources available are daunting in their number, teacher collaboration is key to cutting down the workload and sharing what works.

I work in a BYOD high school and whilst I’m impressed with student’s skill with tablets and smart phones, they still need to be taught how to use these tools for worthwhile research and producing evidence.  I really feel for teachers who have limited digital skills but upskilling is not as easy as we think. We have a lot of teachers who are not digitally competent, being a Google school we have started to run online ‘Google’ tutorials with a purposefully created website of resources. However, no time or personal help is given to the teachers to complete the tutorials. It simply does not work.

Interestingly, I was at Google’s Computer Science for High Schools (CS4HS) at Unitec a couple of years ago. We were shown their under construction ‘teaching software’ which creates a 3D synthetic teacher.  They were working on the premise that people give up more easily with online learning. Their software used the web cam to record subtle emotion from the user and play back suitable responses from the online teacher which addressed the emotional needs of the user. This was to lead to more engagement and a higher completion rate.

One of the main themes to come through the appraisal discussion (in Module 3) was how successful schools were allocating time (usually in staff meetings) for professional, reflective development. I believe schools need to assess where the staff are and then purposefully move them forward with a planned set of PD at the correct level and allocate time in the school week. Until we have a digitally component workforce across the board the divide between classrooms will continue to be huge. Schools must address the imbalance in their workforce before they can use technology effectively and collaboratively. 

• Tony Sears (View all users posts) 31 Oct 2015 3:20pm ()

Hey Debra,

I really like your initiative of 'Google' tutorials. This seems to me to be a great way to upskill teachers in their ICT practises and use the technology at the same time. You make the really important point that unless there is time or personal help provided any initiative like this is unlikely to be hugely successful.

There are so many initiatives competing for time at staff-meetings and professional development days. I just think that if the resources are there for teachers to use at their own pace there may be an incentive to learn something new.

Our school staff are becoming more familiar with sharing Google docs and folders and we are gradually moving away from Moodle and using Google Classroom etc. It seems that developments are happening at a rapid rate. For example the increasing reliance on the 'cloud' for data storage and web based software that allows it to work on a variety of platforms.

I think it is hard for teachers to keep up with the new developments. I'm wondering if I need to get my e-learning committee members to take one area of responsibility and develop Google folders related to that area in which staff can access helpful hints and tips or inspirational/educative material?

I would value others thoughts on how they provide ongoing e-learning PD within their school. 

• Keir Morrison (View all users posts) 08 Nov 2015 11:08am ()

Hi Tony

We launched into 'google school' fully this year - removed and changed the Outlook servers for Gmail and all staff will have to use google drive for work storage by the end of the year (we will phase out department drives through next year). 

This has meant a good deal of new learning for a number of staff -- less for others. To go some way in responding to this "in school-variation" (digital dinosaurs vs early adopters!), we started using 'Grovo'. Based in the US it is basically an online training tool for a massive range of IT/software. Based around 'micro-learning' - online tutorials are broken down into short animated videos with a couple of multi-choice questions at the end - learners can go at their own pace, repeat training, jump around and just do the bits they want etc. Easy to use back end for administrators (that was me) and you can push out training packages (pre-made or bespoke to your needs) to single staff or multiple groups. Pretty cool stuff.

We found it really useful initially for a range of staff who were really anxious about the whole move to Gmail and GoogleApps. We've also done plenty of whole staff and smaller group e-learning PD sessions as we also shifted our school SMS to KAMAR in the same year (just a bit of learning for staff then!) -- all the way we stress the 'pedagogy driving the change' message -- and stressing the "law of amplification" (Toyama).

http://www.grovo.com/

• Margaret Walker (View all users posts) 02 Oct 2015 6:17pm ()

Hi Kristie,

I agree with you about student engagement.  We have a 1:2 chromebook ratio and all the students love getting their turn.  They are motivated to write on the chromebooks and we do Online reading and maths using sites such as Sunshine online, prodigy, sumdog.  I monitor this carefully and can use the feedback from the sites as formative assessment.  Certainly teaching and learning in groups using effective teaching practices still occurs and benefits from heightened motivation.  We have had much PD in Learning with digital technology, using apps, using chromebooks and using Hapara and we are gradually starting to expand the use of the apps to teach inquiry skills also.  

I think Inquiry learning is going to undergo a huge change because of students' internet access.  The answers to their questions are easily found at the click of the mouse so the skill set for the inquiry process will change and inquiry itself will have to include higher order questions and authentic tasks.  At the moment we are working on using the 'clearly' app to make websites less distracting but also to find and highlight key words on a topic.  The students then discuss the findings together and collaboratively come to shared understandings around the key words. The shift to more collaborative learning is what I am trying to foster in my classroom because I believe it is better for all students and in particular my ESL and targetted students as they engage in more oral language and are scaffolded by their peers in their understandings.

• lizzy (View all users posts) 15 Nov 2015 4:01pm ()

Developing teacher pedagogy must happen or else the tools will not necessarily be used effectively in the classroom.  I have had a student this year who has had access to an i-pad for writing time.  He had sole use of it so was always available.  What a huge change it made to his approach to writing -gone ways the terrified scared face and a happy smiling face replaced it.  He became motivated and although initially was slow at typing he persevered and stayed on task.  He used Word Q which supported his spelling.  I also let him choose his own writing topic most times and this too had an effect.  The change in the quality and the quantity of his writing has improved so much -exciting to see.  He needed verbal response rather than on-line so this was what we did.  Developing systems that work for teachers and individuals is indeed a challenge that will continue for all of us

• Mary Kaye (View all users posts) 02 Oct 2015 9:47am ()

The e-LPF is a great document to get a school started in their IT journey. But when it is combined with inquiry learning I think it will be very successful for PD.

The benefits of using an inquiry model as a focus for professional learning enables staff to have a voice about their own PD requirements and allows them to take ownership of their learning journey.

Staff were allowed to work independently or in groups. They were encouraged to work collaboratively either in the same curriculum or across curriculums, sometimes in another school. This allows for a broader range of knowledge being shared and also requires some accountability on the individual’s part.

The school identified areas that the school needs to lift from gathering and analysing data.

There are benefits of allowing time to be set aside to ensure that staff are able to work on their inquiry. Reflection questions were a major focus for sharing their learning journey. This also provided opportunities for professional conversations to take place.

Being engaged in an inquiry process helps to build teacher knowledge and provides evidence for the teacher to see that it is a good model for learning, this model can then be implemented in their classroom teaching because they are experiencing it first-hand.

• Vanessa Bourne (View all users posts) 02 Oct 2015 1:44pm ()

Our school used the e-LPF last year as we began our technology journey.  I think it was a real wake up call for us as it showed how far behind our school had dropped in terms of keeping up with technology.  We used the framework as professional development for the staff, then the bot completed their part and then we put it out into our community to get feedback.

We found it really focused our discussion around education outcomes for our learners.  It also showed that as an (aging) staff our teacher knowledge around technology was very low and therefore we would need to upskill before we could possibly think about using it in a classroom. 

Outcomes from using the tool meant that everyone, staff, bot and community were all on the same page.  Staff knew where the gaps were and what was needed to enhance our professional skills.  This then formed the basis of our teaching as inquiry this year. 

I believe it is important to stay on top of what is happening rather than fall behind, the challenge is how you do that in this ever changing world of technology and education. 

• nicki fielder (View all users posts) 05 Oct 2015 12:59pm ()

I agree Vanessa ... the e-LPF is a great way to see where your school sits on the e-learning continuum. 

As a small rural school we place a lot of emphasis on empowering our students and ensuring they are capable digital citizens ... even with internet limitations!!! Such capabilities and 'mindsets' are vital for our confident, connected, future focused learners ... for now, to fly hitting high school and for success beyond this. 

I like the way it has been divided into sections for school, personal, whanau and akonga, making it easy to see our strengths and any gaps and next steps.

We have linked this with the leadership inquiry cycle this year and found it an effective way to both gather information and plan based on this.

Having recently had a number of new students enter the senior end of our school. We also had a safety breach where a student's blog was hacked into, making us realise that the understanding around digital citizenship and safety must be embedded for students. A great analogy is the roadside banner I saw last week brandishing a slogan along the lines of ... Take care driving. Not everyone is a good driver.

Our School wide focus based on the framework:

• Safe responsible use of digital technologies by akonga
    • Engage with whānau/iwi and community to help students learn effectively and safely online.

Here is a very brief summary. (The inquiry is still ongoing):

Educational outcomes valued for students: Students and whanau to understand how to be safe digital citizens and, more importantly, to make these choices

How, as a leader, I can improve my professional knowledge and skills to improve outcomes? Improve my understanding the risks on the internet, research and PD available. Communicate and involve our wider professional learning community e.g. School Cluster, Parents and Community

Further learning and development: Workshops with Andrew Cowie; Core Education and Connected Learning, Enabling e-learning TKI site

Engagement in new learning experiences: Based on value of workshops with Andrew Cowie; Core Education and Connected Learning, a follow on workshop was organised for Cluster Principals and teachers. This was followed by a workshop for all community members in our cluster. Inquiry with students. Look at what other schools have implemented in this area. Shared our journey thus far on Connected learning webinar. (How the Connected Learning Advisory — Te Ara Whītiki can support you.)

Impact of changed actions on learners (particularly priority learners): Parents better understand the complexities of digital citizenship. All stakeholders see the internet as en ever changing environment. Students developing a set our criteria and expectations around digital citizenship and safety. Students are more aware and active in ensuring they and others are making safe choices. BOT committed to learning and implementation.

I think it is important to note that like any inquiry, we are constantly revisiting parts of the cycle to ensure that our actions lead to the outcomes we value for our learners, and in particular our priority learners.

We also used the leadership inquiry cycle and e-LPF to improve our communication between students, teacher - students and whanau in 2015.

Because the e-LPF is so comprehensive, it has worked well for us to use it to gauge where we are at and focus on the areas of highest need.

I would be really interested to hear about how other leaders and school have used the framework to improve outcomes.

• Bridget McDowall (View all users posts) 06 Oct 2015 1:31pm ()

Bringing Transformative Change

This year our school has taken on a new ICT journey and I was given the opportunity to lead this journey and make changes within our school. The goal of this journey was to improve e- learning in a way that would lead to improved student outcomes across our learners. This ICT journey has been my NAPP inquiry during 2015. I have discovered mostly through trial and error what works well and what doesn’t. I have spent some time looking at the Five Dimensions and carried out a survey with our staff to find out where they think we are at and where we need to go next. Overall the responses showed that staff have wide spread abilities with e-learning and the understanding of current practices within the school. Our next steps are to further develop understanding of the e-framework and set direction for 2016. From the survey I came up with a few questions for staff. What do we know? What do we need to learn next? How will we get there? How do we use ICT to improve students learning outcomes? How can we engage our community?

I have attached the link to my ICT inquiry. There is heaps of information and reflections on what we have done this year to set up the use of Chromebooks within our school.

One of the real challenges in how to measure success. How do we really know if what we are doing in  e-learning is improving students outcomes?

http://myportfolio.school.nz/user/bridgetmcdowall/ict-inquiry-reflections-domain-one?showmore=1

• Lauren Latimer (View all users posts) 06 Oct 2015 1:44pm ()

Good point Bridget, measuring success is tricky with ICT but i think the real success will be when you identify how sustainable your current practices are? What will happen when new staff arrive at school, will they be able to pick up and run with it? Is there a induction process? Will you still need to lead it and be the point of contact or are teachers able to co coach others? Lots of questions to reflect on, but i think this will support your focus for where to next in 2016. 

• Bridget McDowall (View all users posts) 06 Oct 2015 2:56pm ()

Thanks for your comments Lauren. The topic of sustainability does get me thinking. Each week I have a day teaching ICT and this day also includes teaching staff attending the sessions with their students. I think this will lead to sustainability as we all learn together in a collaborative learning environment. These weekly sessions are great in that we all learn from each other. Students discover new things that I don't know and are so willing to teach and share. They are risk takers in this environment and are not so caught up in knowing how to do things 'right'. In terms of new staff arriving, we are also developing a school ICT plan. This plan covers everything from basic computer skills to cyber safety. The plan has flexibility in that skills etc.. can be taught as and when students need. Hopefully this planning and teaching process new teachers will easily be able to come in a learn what is required and they should hopefully have a large group of ICT capable students and teachers to help them out if required. I am hoping that eventually I won't need to lead the sessions and that students and staff will continue to learn through inquiry and collaboration. Thanks Lauren for your well thought out questions!

• Lauren Latimer (View all users posts) 06 Oct 2015 8:22pm ()

Great it sounds like you are covering all bases and your school could be in a good position to lead other schools through this process following on from the work you have completed and achieved this year. When we talked earlier you mentioned that staff are constantly reflecting and you are using their reflections to guide where to next. Have you had feedback from community on their thoughts around the benefits for student learning using chrome books etc?

• Bridget McDowall (View all users posts) 07 Oct 2015 5:05pm ()

Thanks Lauren,

The views of the community are certainly important and it would be good to find out what they believe the benefits and disadvantages are to having technology in the classrooms. When we looked at the 5 Dimensions as a staff, this was an area that required addressing. It would be great to get a survey out to parents to gain their thoughts moving into 2016.

• Judith Ford (View all users posts) 08 Oct 2015 2:33pm ()

I have just completed the eLPF, I look forward to collating the responses from our staff and community. Already I can see areas where we as a school need to improve - particularly in the area of engaging our whanau/community in the use of digital technologies and upskilling them. A very useful tool that will help provide direction for our school. 

One of the issues highlighted for me in the research I have been doing over the holidays is the need for teachers to be willing to learn alongside their students. As professionals we need to be inquirying into our practice - be life long learners. Alongside this, we also need access to appropriate PD to extend our thinking. For many teachers living outside of the main centres this can be an issue as there is the added travel and accommodation costs. On the flip side however is the access to a lot of online learning available, such as EdTalks - when you know where to find it!

It is certainly an exciting time to be involved in education with the many changes occurring at this time.

• Angela Scott (View all users posts) 03 Nov 2015 2:49pm ()

Hi Judith,
    I too have just been working through the profess of eLPF with our ICT development team. We identified a need to ensure that our parents have an understanding of our thinking about how ICT tools can be used to support their child's learning, so sent a survey out asking about the responses for a parent info night and what areas they would like support in. We then went ahead and organised and presented an evening based on their identified needs. My hope in doing this is that we would get a great attendance hit rate, but unfortunately this did not happen! We got about 40-50 parents in who went to the workshops that interested them. The 'big hitters' were cyber safety, apps in the HBs, our coding club and BYOD for Y4 students (added in especially for our Y3 parents who are moving into BYOD next year). 
    Our children were involved in running many of these sessions which was also a good drawcard for some parents. 
    In regards to your thinking about PD - so true! We are really lucky to have amazing teachers who are super keen to attend PD, however it is being able to then transfer this new learning into the HB programme that makes a real difference to our learners. If you are an 'apple school', I highly recommend seeing if Stuart Hale can come and work with your staff. He is amazing! Not only will he run staff workshops, but he also works in the classes with the students, modelling to the teachers what they can do on devices and how to extend their thinking. If you can work with other schools in your cluster and get him down for a few days, it would be well worth it!  

As Frances Valentine from MindLab says " These are active learners familiar with inquiry-based practice, who have learnt to pivot seamlessly between devices and across different platforms while they deep dive into subject areas that are delivered online, offline and in immersive learning environments.  This generation of the disruptive learner who will bring their experience of collaboration, openness and digital literacy to the classroom. They are redefining, modifying and augmenting the learning process and bringing a technical confidence to the classroom"

This makes it even more important for us as teachers and leaders to 'keep up'. This doesn't have to mean being able to do everything the children can, BUT being able to facilitate their exploration into using devices and apps to support their learning... something I am passionate about! Making sure that when children have a device in their hands it is not learning an app they are focusing on, rather it is choosing the best app to use to support their learning, making informed decisions about the best tool for the job. This takes away the need for just one platform too, if schools go down the BYOD route. I love the power and ownership this gives to the learner!

• Manny Horua (View all users posts) 09 Oct 2015 3:30pm ()

Recently when creating student led portfolios  - due to frustration of inability to connect to the school server,  students deleting eports and loss of pendrives - a few of our teachers decided to try Google slides as the platform to use for eportfolios.  The results were great!  With students being able to access them at home (if they had internet access)  and the ability to revise history and restore any work that was accidentally deleted.  Teachers had a class email and shared out work to each student, essentially being able to see what the students were putting into their portfolios and being able to provide feedback notes along the way and respond to questions asked by the students in the notes section also.  The spin off effect was more capable students then created their own blendspace on how to use Google Slides and would direct their peers to that space or run their own workshops on how to perform different tasks as requested by their classmates.  The students confidently presented their own learning and then were able to guide their whanau in creating a feedback slide which required them to complete a range of tasks ie changing background, inserting wordart and a photo taken on entry before writing a message for their tamariki.  The whanau had a greater appreciation of the work involved in making their eportfolio as well as leaving a personal message for their child.  I am sure there are other programs out there but we wanted to use what they were familiar with already.  I will definitely continue along this journey ,  evolving along the way.

• Graham Young (View all users posts) 12 Oct 2015 2:03pm ()

well done Manny, the potential for genuinely partnering with Whanau and helping schooling to be 24/7 is unlimited

• Tracey Arthurs (View all users posts) 15 Oct 2015 9:51pm ()
    • Explain how specific parts of the inquiry cycle and the e-Learning Planning Framework have worked together for you and your school:

• As other contributors have said, we too have found value in learning alongside our students and learning from them as well. Three weeks out from our school production, a pod of ipads arrived; hey presto - our music teacher and e-learning co-ordinator joined forces together with groups of students to experiment with and begin to learn GarageBand. Three weeks later, all groups had composed their own minutes worth of runway music as a backdrop to their wearable arts performance. What an impact this made on students; and our teachers too. It opened our eyes to the possibilities of open ended learning - it’s ok for us not to know the end point when something begins. Engagement was never an issue. They were keen to make the best composition of music they could. Some groups gave up their lunch times to meet deadlines. As a result other teachers are now curious about what learning experiences ipads might kick-start for them.
  • Steve (View all users posts) 18 Oct 2015 6:18pm ()

Wow this is awesome Manny.

Would love to see how this evolves. Quality connections with whanau are the key. When thinking about sustainability what things will you be trialling, developing, building, encouraging?

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.