Search

BYOD for All

• Public
Started by Natalie Garcia 19 Aug 2015 12:40pm () Replies (7)

I have recently started a page, and I would really appreciate some feedback.

http://byodforall.weebly.com/

Constructive criticism is what I'm after, I don't expect everyone will agree with the idea. If you don't think the concept could work, I'd love to know why, and how you think it could be improved from a schools point of view.

So far I have received mixed results from schools, but hugely positive results from businesses and families.

Your thoughts?

Replies

• Campbell (View all users posts) 19 Aug 2015 12:48pm ()

I personally think this is a brilliant idea and one that will become far more valuable in time. We have a very fractured education system when it comes to IT hardware with some schools wining and others falling far behind and the BYOD area even more so. IT offerings in schools are certainly not on an even playing field and with the amount of redundant hardware that is available in the corporate and private world as we update laptops, pads, phones, etc. Quickly, there is a real need and solution to get these into schools for students to use. 

I will be donating some hardware to this for sure, as its better being used than sitting in my drawer at home. 

• Natalie Garcia (View all users posts) 21 Aug 2015 7:38am ()

Thank you so much Campbell, the concept is so simple, and has the potential to help a lot of students.  The aim is to get the message out there, and its something I will continue to work on.

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 19 Aug 2015 1:11pm ()

I have mixed feelings regarding BYOD.  Some are highly successful, while other schools are finding more problems.

Technology certainly needs to be infused and seamlessly integrated into all learning, which BYOD can do.  But the more important aspect is what are schools doing with this technology?  Are they just publishing stories in word format?  I have been to many schools, and a lot don't know what to do with the limited computers they have let along having more.  This is a double edged sword, as unless teachers have access to a system like 1:1, then they haven't experienced it for themselves... so perhaps don't know what effective use technology within learning looks like.  But this is a whole different discussion... and comes up all the time, so will leave that for now...   

But having BYOD across a range of devices, with different operating systems, specifications and functionality, will just complicate things.  I very strongly believe that the devices need to be the same, .i.e all chromebooks, or all windows 10 systems, or all osX.  Teachers don't have the time to learn new architecture and how to problem solve issues that students have across multiple platforms and OS.  Obviously this is a problem..  

So.. I think one possible solution that needs mentioning here is that each school initiating their own trust (significant financial benefits), where parents pay for the same device that all other students have weekly at about $4-6 per week.  Each student has the same unit.  The same issues will become apparent, so solutions will be discovered and solved more quickly.    

An even bigger solution, and one that I believe the MOE needs to implement, would be for them to offer parents of students at primary/secondary/tertiary a device where they pay them off, and minimal interest.   The buying power the government could have would be massive!  Imagine those savings passed on to parents.  If only....  

• Natalie Garcia (View all users posts) 21 Aug 2015 7:49am ()

Thank you for your feedback Hamish, I do agree with you, as a parent I would much prefer to pay a weekly amount.  And it would be a lot easier for teachers to only teach for one device/platform.  However, for those schools that do not adopt this method, and instead ask that the child bring their own, it is completely unrealistic to expect parents to supply a specific device.  For some families, they would not only have to have low interest repayment options, but be heavily subsidized.  No child should be disadvantaged, this program aims to provide a device for a child that otherwise would not have one.

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 21 Aug 2015 8:54am ()

Hi Natalie,

Yes your project is very giving, and aims to fill a need that is most certainly out there.  In my experience students using devices that are too old and slow segregates the student and technology.  In past schools, I have seen 6 year old devices sit in a classroom and students don't want to use them.  The student doesn't want to use it because its too slow, and this is worse than students not using one at all.  So my advice would be to be aware devices older than 3 years.  Anything older really would need to be looked at to see if it is still quick enough for a student to 'want' to use, and be productive enough for their needs. 

• Natalie Garcia (View all users posts) 21 Aug 2015 11:56am ()

I shall certainly keep that in mind. smiley

Join this group to contribute to discussions.