Search

Teacher Microphone Headset

• Public
Started by Steve Trotter 18 Aug 2015 1:30pm () Replies (7)

Kia ora,

As a school we have enjoyed using 'FrontRow speakers' for the last couple of years. A FrontRow speaker consists of a headset that the teacher wears and speaker that amplifies the teacher's voice. A microphone is also included for students to use.

We now have the maximum of speakers we can have due to frequency issues - but would like to continue to equip classrooms with 'teacher mics'.

Has anyone used any different systems (that do not rely on radio frequencies). I was thinking there must be some sort of cheaper bluetooth mic/headset that would achieve the same purpose?

Cheers

Steve

Replies

• Rob Gunn (View all users posts) 22 Aug 2015 6:14pm ()

Hi Steve, 

I have never used them but was at Te Kowhai School and they use these. They had a great sound to them. I don't know any specs though sorry.

• Steve Trotter (View all users posts) 22 Aug 2015 9:18pm ()

Cheers Rob,

I am always scared of pricing when you have to 'request a quote'!

Will be another option to chuck in the mix.

Steve

• Steve Trotter (View all users posts) 27 Aug 2015 4:08pm ()

Found a link on Sitech system you mentioned Rob - https://www.sitech.co.nz/product_details/c/150/p/1349

I was right to be scared of companies that do not advertise prices!

The hunt continues....

• Robyn Easterbrook (View all users posts) 27 Aug 2015 8:43pm ()

Am I right in thinking a bluetooth set up would have a range and that the mobile teacher might slip in and out of it???? And would you need a modern amp thingee and speakers? It's beyond me but I'm keen to find out! Thanks for sharing anything you try.

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 27 Aug 2015 9:48pm ()

Hey Steve,

Bluetooth has a range of about 15m.  If you are going through 1 wall its half that, and 2 walls its half again, so two walls = 4m max.   I know bluetooth 4.2 (basically just a firmware update) had slightly longer range, but its rear to find that hardware, as 4.0 has only really become standard in modern devices this year.

Bluetooth is effected by microwaves as it uses the same spectrum range, and USB 3.+ also effects bluetooth as it has electronic noise release falling over the same operating band.  

But the bonus of bluetooth is that you can have as many as you want, as they will only send/ receive with another paired device.  So you could have numerous in the same room with no issues.  

We have 10 bluetooth headsets in our junior space, and have no problems.  But these are just headphones, and not the hardware that you are wanting.  

• Steve Trotter (View all users posts) 27 Aug 2015 9:56pm ()

I have read up and talked to a few people and am now thinking Bluetooth is not an option. Have found some sets on Amazon, but no reputable companies make Bluetooth mics, which is probably saying a lot....

Will post if I make any progress with this journey!

Join this group to contribute to discussions.