Search

Reading Levels

• Public
Started by Karrie 12 Aug 2015 5:25pm () Replies (27)

Hi everyone,

I have a class of now Year 1s as the children started in Term 2.  I was wondering what reading level is expected - is it yellow by 6 months of school in order to meet the Nat Standard of green? Also, can someone tell me when it comes to running records at this early stage (magenta and red), what do any teachers out there do? Do you test them using the current reading book? When they have read that well, do you then use an unseen text to determine whether they move up to the next level? I found that testing some readers today on the their seem texts they read them well, but when testing using an unseen text, they made lots of mistakes even with little words like (at, it).  In phonics we are working on stage 2, and Im still trying to get through the testing to find out who is ready to move on and how Im going to manage this, as Im wondering if this is the reason the children aren't performing better? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou.

Replies

• Karrie (View all users posts) 24 Aug 2015 6:41pm ()

Thankyou for the response Jane ;-) 

• Karrie (View all users posts) 18 Oct 2015 7:40pm ()

Hi ladies ;-) Thanks everyone for your response to my question.  I am interested to see what opinions are out there regarding this. It seems opinions are varied.  If you have to report on whether children are on track to meet standard, its helpful to get an idea of the level the child should be at after 6 months.  Jude my email is karrie.bryce@fendalton.school.nz.

Thanks so much ;-)

Join this group to contribute to discussions.