Search

Etherpad...

• Public
Started by Olivia Walsh 05 Aug 2015 6:43pm () Replies (5)

Hi all. I am wanting to know if anyone is using or has used Etherpad for writing. Came across Jill Hammond's videos relating to this....but wondering since Google Docs, if the same thing could be applied using that rather than Etherpad. I am thinking yes....but I do quite like Etherpad and what it has to offer in regards to writing sessions. I have also had a bit a trouble getting started with Etherpad....any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Olivia  

Replies

• Jill Hammonds (View all users posts) 05 Aug 2015 7:55pm ()

Hi Olivia,

Yes you can certainly use Google Docs instead of Etherpad for writing, but my preference is still Etherpad.  The kids like having the coloured highlighting behind their text, the time slider is really good for being able to see writing at any stage of development (e.g. for being able to recover any deleted text by highlighting, copying and pasting across to the active page), the chat box is great for giving feedback to each other (I allocate for each student e.g. comment about the story below your own - last on page comments on first).  Have you seen my page on "Using Etherpad and the Recipe for Writing"?  This page has lots of tips for use.  Good luck.

Cheers, Jill

• Olivia Walsh (View all users posts) 06 Aug 2015 5:10pm ()

Hi Jill,

Many thanks for your reply. I too would prefer Etherpad and I have seen your page that you mentioned above. That is where I got the idea. Brilliant! I was just having trouble actually creating a pad for a group of students to work on. I went to some Etherpad site etc, clicked create for creating a pad,  and attempted to create a URL for students to then copy and paste in their own bar for bringing us all together.....but that is where I had trouble. I shall attempt to re-read and watch your videos again in case I am doing something wrong. Which is quite possible.

Anyway....many thanks Jill....your ideas for E-leanirng for Literacy are very inspiring.

Many Thanks

Olivia  

• Jill Hammonds (View all users posts) 06 Aug 2015 7:51pm ()

Hi Olivia,

Just open your browser and in the url bar type etherpad.mozilla.org/yourpagename and then press enter. 

Screen Shot 2015-08-06 at 7.45.03 pm.png

If you have chosen a unique (unused) name for your page you will get a page with this message.  Click yes and the page will be created.

Screen Shot 2015-08-06 at 7.45.26 pm.png  

If you find yourself on an already existing page then you have not chosen an unused page name.  I recommend using school name, room and topic e.g. /core1debate

I hope this helps.

Cheers, Jill

• Olivia Walsh (View all users posts) 09 Aug 2015 8:33pm ()

Hi Jill,

Not sure what I was initially doing wrong but this has worked! Thanks for the screen shots too.

Many Thanks

Olivia :-) 

Join this group to contribute to discussions.