Search

Formatting with Airprint

• Public
Started by Sheryl Nagels 05 Aug 2015 11:51am () Replies (6)

We can print directly to our Toshiba copiers using Airprint but the formatting options are limited and you can't print a booklet directly from the iPad. To be able to do this would be helpful for our Teacher Aides and I was hoping to find an App that might facilitate this - no luck so far. Has anyone else solved this problem?

Replies

• redbeard45 (View all users posts) 05 Aug 2015 12:11pm ()

Sheryl canʻt say I am an expert at this but from what I know, to be able to print the likes of a booklet from a laptop or computer, you need the extra feature set of a printer (and that includes photocopiers) which comes with the correct driver for your printer. The specific ʻdriverʻ (set of instructions) for your printer provides all those extra features you can do with a printer like booklets, beyond a basic print. With Airprint, it is just a generic driver that allows an iPad to connect to a range of printers and photocopiers that support Airprint but only provides basic print functions.

Many printer / photocopier companies provide Apps that are built on Airprint but also incorporate extra features. Some other companies enable printing from iPads by having a print server, a little wireless box that is a mini computer in itself, connected onto the network somewhere, with the correct driver loaded onto this box. iPads connect to the wireless print server which in turn sends the file to the photocopier for printing.

I think this is a case of contacting your photocopier supplier and seeing if there is an alternative solution like a specific Toshiba App (I know Kyocera has this) or a wireless print server (such as Canon and Ricoh use). Sorry this is not a solution but may help make some sense???

• Sheryl Nagels (View all users posts) 05 Aug 2015 2:16pm ()

Thanks for that. Currently it is printing the booklet but one side is upside down, so it's almost doing it! I will talk to Toshiba and/or hunt for a Toshiba App. It's easy enough on the desktop/laptop but the work involved in up-skilling each TA is what I am trying to avoid. Thanks for replying. 

• Stuart Hale (View all users posts) 05 Aug 2015 2:31pm ()

Hi Sheryl

There is an App - isn't there always!!

Called Printer Pro (there is a Lite version to try too)

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/printer-pro-print-documents/id393313223?mt=8

could be worth a try 

Stuart

• Sheryl Nagels (View all users posts) 05 Aug 2015 2:47pm ()

There is an app and it works! Shame the Toshiba guys who were here the other day didn't know about it. Solved!

• Mark Buckland (View all users posts) 05 Aug 2015 9:24pm ()

I can recommend Printer Pro - I use it on my iPad and phone, but I'm not sure about the booklet. I think there are only a couple of bells and whistles, or perhaps one bell and whistle. Still recommend it though.

Cheers

Join this group to contribute to discussions.