Search

Evaluating e-learning implementation

• Public
Started by Keir Whipp 04 Jun 2015 12:41pm () Replies (14)

HI 
I'd like to ask for any references (academic articles especially) on the evaluation of e-learning implementations in secondary schools.
Any models or theories on how to evaluate an e-learning innovation  much appreciated.

Kind regards

Keir

Replies

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 04 Jun 2015 12:58pm ()

Hi Keir,

Wouldn't this be any results you have for your classes?  What I mean to say is that any results that you have, will be evidence...  This is because eLearning is just 'learning'.  Almost everything we do is on a digital medium, so its just learning.

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 05 Jun 2015 8:46am ()

Tessa's given you some good content.

I'm still a little hesitant at looking at eLearning as different, and specific outcomes of using technology as opposed to not... perhaps I'm being facetious, not trying to be...  but we didn't have research why using a pen was good.  

We use tools because it makes collaboration easier and more effective.  It makes sharing and reflecting more powerful.    There are loads of articles on eLearning, but I really hate that term.  It supposes that learning has changed and that we use technology only during an eLearning focus for that subject... .   Learning hasn't changed... its just that teachers/schools/BOT's are beginning to realise that 'they' need change their pedagogy to prepare students for a different future.  A future that has a vastly different job market... where creativity is the only thing that mass production and robots can't replicate... 

The biggest learning and change for teachers comes when they see what other schools are doing.  Research only show so much, and doesn't give perspective for what your specific school could or should change.  

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 05 Jun 2015 10:20am ()

Hey Keir,

Yes that is a good point.  I had a post last year sometime commenting on a teacher that wanted a framework to assess ICT.  I posted a similar comment as I have today, because I was afraid that teachers would teach 'to' this to be at a 'standard'.  I do see that unless we have this as a start, teacher just wont change.  But the more important thing I believe, is why they need to change... They need to see the benefit of what changing their pedagogy means for the learner.  Otherwise, they are just in a teachers retirement home collecting a pay check.  (hope that doesn't offend anyone... devil haha)

unfortunately like you say there is a massive divide between teachers that use digital mediums and those that don't.  

"However, I do wonder about the pen.  I'm sure there was a lot discussion around the time of its initial implementation as a pedagogical tool."

Funnily I totally agree.  I did some research about this for a presentation about 5 years ago, this was to my BOT as they didn't want 'digital learning'.  

- The ball point pen was introduced to the U.S. market.  10,000 were sold at the launch at Gimbel's department store in New York on October 29th 1945.  It sold out on the first day.  Remind you of anything??   iPad??

digital-age learners learn differently.  Yes they totally do.  I read an article about how digital learning is bad for the brain because they learner doesn't use handwriting which effects a part of the brain that ... umm does something, i forget what it said.  But the article wasn't taking into account using fingers and touch screens to manipulate.  using augmentative reality to learn.  It was just speaking about typing vs' hand writing.  

Like Tessa's comment:

"tools like https://bubbl.us/Could we then collect data to show one tool was more powerful than the other and that the learning outcomes were better/higher/more advanced? What were we looking for anyway? If it was collaboration, then the web based collaborative tool would have the advantage surely?"

Its another point to think about.  In this instant I believe what ever tool the student think will be more effective for them, depending on their passions and agency.  Some may want to be more artistic about how they present it...  others may want to be able to edit it very easily and make changes, so a digital map will be better for them...  

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 05 Jun 2015 11:31am ()

Thanks Greg,

Yeah interesting.  Not necessarily for this information, but certainly for documentaries, there are facts and figures that can be presented to prove points.  

I watched a doco called 'forks over knives'.  The main idea was that plant based protein is better than animal based protein.  The doco used data from Germany in 1940 opposed to 1946.  The use of animal protein was decreases during this period due to Germany having to export 90% of its meat as part of its surrender during WWII.  They then compared the frequency of cancer diagnosis.  Was a massive decrease.  They then said it was this decrease in consumption of animal protein that was the reason that cancer diagnosis decreased.  However they didn't comment on anything else.  Just the animal protein.  So this wasn't fair testing at all. But for the doco it helped prove a point.

I find this especially true for those that want to find excuses for not using digial tools... Haters gonna hate!  :)

ptt.jpg

Join this group to contribute to discussions.