Search

Evaluating e-learning implementation

• Public
Started by Keir Whipp 04 Jun 2015 12:41pm () Replies (14)

HI 
I'd like to ask for any references (academic articles especially) on the evaluation of e-learning implementations in secondary schools.
Any models or theories on how to evaluate an e-learning innovation  much appreciated.

Kind regards

Keir

Replies

• Keir Whipp (View all users posts) 04 Jun 2015 5:02pm ()

Thanks, Hamish

You're absolutely right.  We evaluate the effectiveness of our teaching by looking at the student learning outcomes.  I should have made myself clearer.  I want to take a more general view and look at models or theories on how to evaluate the implementation of innovation in a secondary school.  An evaluation of the way a major change was implemented - in this case the introduction of BYOD and e-learning pedagogy.  How it was done; what worked, what didn't work, what could be done differently.

I'm interested to know what has been written about this specific to e-learning.  Particularly stuff written by academics, researchers, leaders and teachers.

Cheers

Keir

• Keir Whipp (View all users posts) 04 Jun 2015 5:11pm ()

Thank you, Tessa!  A brilliant help :)  Plenty of learning for me.

Cheers

Keir

• Keir Whipp (View all users posts) 05 Jun 2015 9:52am ()

Hi Hamish,

You’re getting me thinking more deeply about this, which is great.  Again, I’m full of agreement with you.  Although I do think we might be at cross-purposes because I do not so much want to evaluate the implementation of e-learning at my school, rather, I want to know about evaluation of change implementation more generally.  

However, I do wonder about the pen.  I'm sure there was a lot discussion around the time of its initial implementation as a pedagogical tool.  I do believe the ink pen took on a symbol of status and students would graduate to its use (in classrooms where such technology was permitted).  And as for learning changing, well, I'm not a neuroscientist, but from what I've been reading the digital world is having an alarming effect on the wiring of the brain, and as a result, digital-age learners learn differently.  There is a lot of research going on in this area (see Dryden, G. and Vos, J. (2009), Medina, J. (2008), Small, G. and Vorgon, G. (2008)). 

So if we understand that learning is changing, perhaps it is our best-practise pedagogy that doesn’t need to change.  All that may need to change, as I think you would agree, is that we include the use of digital tools in our best-practise.

I do agree we need to change the minds of non-digital leaders and non-digital BOTs.  And I do understand that e-learning IS learning, but at this stage I think we still have to differentiate with terminology because there is a HUGE digital divide in teaching amongst professionals, for example, the digital teachers vs. the non-digital teachers (and the non-digital teachers vastly outnumber the digital). 

So, I think it is important we keep making this distinction until the balance changes; otherwise it’ll be too easy to hide behind the term ‘learning’ when we really want those teachers to be developing digital-based learning.  

Regards

Keir

• Keir Whipp (View all users posts) 05 Jun 2015 11:06am ()

Yes.  The 'why' is so important.  I really like the idea of teachers having to understand their students better as students become more 'alien' - (refugees from a digital world?)  Of course, when the profession becomes saturated with a generation of digital-age teachers, things will change again, but as you say, we need to be responsive to the needs of these students today, and not have to 'wait for the pension' so to speak.

I think evaluating tools (which is a different research to mine) has its use, but again,as you point out, there will be no one tool for the job (or one size to fit all).  Like a craftsman, a student can select a tool they prefer, which meets their needs, competency and demands of the task they want to achieve.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.