Search

Cloud photo storage

• Public
Started by Heather Harper 22 May 2015 2:53pm () Replies (9)

We are a GAFE school and the students are really developing their skills. Currently for our photographs of events... We save photos onto our intranet at school in a folder called Maeroa Images. The students can, while at school, access this folder and insert images..but once they are outside school hours, they don't have access to them unless specifically loaded up to their drive. I am looking for a way to replicate what we do currently, but in the cloud, so students have access 24/7 to use them.

I was wondering about Google Photos if there is such a thing...

I welcome suggestions... Last year we had 40Gb of images archived

Replies

• Carol Kendall (View all users posts) 22 May 2015 5:03pm ()

We are also a GAFE school, and have been wondering over the past few months how to move away from having photos on our Server, everything being so slow and no access from home.

We have created a Photos folder on Google Drive. It should be owned by a 'non-human' owner who will not leave the school and then shared with editing rights for teachers, and we share viewing rights with our GAFE accounts. Currently that is only Year 5-8 students, but classrooms also have Google accounts they can sign in with.

Considerations will also involve privacy issues, of photos being available outside the school, but we overcome this partially by having them viewable only with one of our school accounts. I need to check how to upload files to our Blogger Blogs when they are stored in Drive. It may need to be via url - need to have a closer look.

Storage is free and unlimited, so that's a bonus. Everything seems faster. We are making a push for not having all photos just downloaded and dumped in there, but rather choosing the good photos and not bothering with the rest.

We're not sure how this will work yet, being relatively new to doing this, but it should work well.

• Heather Harper (View all users posts) 25 May 2015 12:29pm ()

Thanks Carol

That looks like a good idea and I like the idea of having them only viewable from one of our school accounts. i will definitely look into this.

• Geoff Siave (View all users posts) 24 May 2015 8:05pm ()

That looks great.  I tshoukld be bvery handy for newsletters, and other publishing.  Do you downsize the photos before loading them in the google doc? 

• Carol Kendall (View all users posts) 24 May 2015 8:12pm ()

Doesn't seem to be any need to downsize photos. You drag a corner to resize a photo, as usual, but we don't change the resolution of the photo to make it a smaller file size at any stage.

• Greg Carroll (View all users posts) 24 May 2015 8:36pm ()

Copied from here: http://petapixel.com/2015/05/22/a-look-at-what-top-cloud-storage-services-say-about-your-photo-rights/ 

From Googles terms of service:

When you upload, submit, store, send or receive content to or through our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content. The rights you grant in this license are for the limited purpose of operating, promoting, and improving our Services, and to develop new ones. This license continues even if you stop using our Services (for example, for a business listing you have added to Google Maps). Some Services may offer you ways to access and remove content that has been provided to that Service. Also, in some of our Services, there are terms or settings that narrow the scope of our use of the content submitted in those Services. Make sure you have the necessary rights to grant us this license for any content that you submit to our Services.

Google Drive has the first terms of service that may call for a cause of concern for privacy moguls. As the company’s terms of service note, Google receives a ‘worldwide license’, which they can use to “host, store, reproduce, modify, creative derivative works, communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display, and distribute such content’. Google notes that the rights are for the “purpose of operating, promoting, and improving our Services”, but the terms are very vague. The company may also continue to use your content after you have pulled them from the service – possibly troubling information for photographers.

• Heather Harper (View all users posts) 25 May 2015 12:32pm ()

Privacy is a real issue as I would hate to see photos used inappropriately on Facebook...  Need to look at this more closely. 

• Carol Kendall (View all users posts) 25 May 2015 2:09pm ()

Yes, I agree. But when you think about it, it's probably a similar risk wherever photos are stored. We do want students to take photos, and we do want photos of their learning and school events. We want students to be able to access these. Whether they're on our school server, or on Google Drive, even with a school sign-in for users, that risk is there.

Yes, Greg, I agree that those Google Terms of Service are a big issue; do you have a suggestion we can consider as an alternative? It's not something we really think about, and maybe we need more guidelines or alternatives from the technical and educational experts. Then, I guess, we won't all agree on those choices anyway :-(

• Greg Carroll (View all users posts) 25 May 2015 2:31pm ()

Hi Carol

all a bit of a thorny one ay?  I guess a few things occur to me here:

• Do we have to err on the side of caution?  The worst scenario is an image a child takes for class work ends up in Google publicity shots.  Particularly when Murphy says it will be the parent who overtly said 'no way ...".  Likely to happen, absolutely not.  Could happen, absolutely yes.  Would you have any redress or ability to demand a take-down .... not under those terms and conditions.
    • iCloud, Dropbox, Microsoft OneDrive all seem way more reasonable t's and c's.  So if you are in an Apple or Microsoft ecosystem this may be the most robust solution anyway?
    • Dropbox is 'ecosystem agnostic' but then again is another whole thing to make work smoothly.  Would probably cost as well for your 40gb/year.
    • Is there an opportunity here to include a digital citizenship component to the school for ANY images you take and/or keep.  Not a bad thing either?!  Is a photo that is embarrassing or inappropriate any worse on the school server, in Dropbox or on Facebook?  
    • If you have safeguards in place then is the Google thing particularly bad?  Remembering that this blog post is aimed at people who make money from selling images and non-approved use is therefore essentially theft.  If a kid from your school ended up on a Google poster or website would that be bad?  Would they seek your permission before doing that? - probably.  Not necessarily, but probably.
    • what trumps free?

All a risk management juggle really ay.

cheers

Greg

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Technologies

e-Learning: Technologies

Where we explore how different technologies can support learning.