Search

Chromebooks and multi users

• Public
Started by Gail Abbitt 21 May 2015 8:25pm () Replies (5)

We are trialing a number of Chromebooks to see whether we go down this route or stick with ipads. How do schools using Chromebooks already get around issues with multiple users using devices?  What sorts of issues have you found and how have you overcome them?   

Replies

• Katarina Moore (View all users posts) 22 May 2015 6:57am ()

I have 1:2 Chromebooks in my classroom. It's no problem as long as you are a GAFE school and the kids have their own google account.  The kids just take any device and log into their google account. They can also log in at home on another computer and continue their work. Love the Chromebooks. 

• Monika Kern (View all users posts) 22 May 2015 11:55am ()

Hi Gail,

the key is the Google account. Whether you are using individual student accounts (which I highly recommend, esp. y4+) or a shared class account, it should not matter what Chromebook they use, it should all look the same when they have logged in as long as they log in with their account.

Some schools like to assign certain devices to certain students, so you could set up certain accounts per device, and the assigned students log in by clicking their icon and entering their password. Some schools disable guest log in with that to prevent others from logging into that device - I'm not entirely sure what that achieves but I'm sure they have a good reason for that.

I am wondering if you might get an issue with offline docs etc. - can someone remind me how the storage is assigned when you have multiple accounts using a CB? Allanah King, Leigh Hynes or Justine Driver might know?

Overall I would like to say that Chromebooks are simply different and fulfil a different purpose to an iPad. In my eyes, iPads are great for creative work with images and videos, creating books etc. while Chromebook is fantastic for working within GAFE, for accessing Web2.0 tools etc. In an ideal world I would try to have both (and then some other DTs in addition) in my classroom:D

Hope this helps! Monika

• Gail Abbitt (View all users posts) 22 May 2015 9:00pm ()

That helps a lot. Thank you for taking the time to reply :-) 

• Gail Abbitt (View all users posts) 22 May 2015 9:00pm ()

That helps a lot. Thank you for taking the time to reply :-) 

Join this group to contribute to discussions.