Search

Daily Timetable

• Public
Started by Susan Lindsey 20 May 2015 11:03pm () Replies (4)

Hey Everyone

I have noticed over the years that a lot of junior school teachers teach Maths after lunch. I would prefer to teach Reading, Writing and Maths before lunch, how are other teachers managing this? 

TIA

Replies

• wendy (View all users posts) 21 May 2015 4:16pm ()

yes ...it is very tricky with the pressures of national standards on us. Literacy is paramount and my new entrant class uses all morning for reading and writing and PMP and free developmental time when not one on one with a teacher. Maths is relegated to Pm which is not the best so half way through a year I change the timetable and it goes first....once children have some independence in their reading and writing.Having said that....maths really happens all through the day with day/ date/ how many at school/ counting while children get to the mat/ etc etc...it is strategy teaching which happens pm.

Does this help?

• Jenny Pringle (View all users posts) 22 May 2015 3:07pm ()

Maybe it depends on your break times. Personally I prefer an hour for each.

Do you find that some require set-up time too?

My current timetable is:

8:50 - 10:40: phonics - handwriting - fitness/PE - fruit break - writing

11:00 - 12: reading

12:30 - 1:30 maths

2:00 - 3: other curriculum

Choice Time is an integral part of the morning timetable.

• Karrie (View all users posts) 17 Sep 2015 8:15pm ()

Hi everyone - just a question...with all this talk about the importance of play, how are NE/Y1 teachers organising their programme? Does developmental happen everyday? Just wondering about whether I need to change my timetable as currently the children have developmental 1 day a week.  They started in term 2. Thanks in advance.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.