Search

Modern Learning Practices and Maths

• Public
Started by SteveHT1971 19 May 2015 8:53pm () Replies (3)

I have just taken over the role of Maths Curriculum Leader in an Intermediate school that is developing modern learning practices(with some teachers further along the journey than others). 

Part of my brief this term is to look at MLP and maths in the school and I would like to run some PD.  I would love to know what's going on out there so I can take some ideas to the staff and build on what is being done already.

Replies

• Katarina Moore (View all users posts) 19 May 2015 10:20pm ()

Cross grouping and The five talk moves has been some areas we have focused on during the last 3 years maths initiative. Here is a short description of the talk moves but if you want to find out more details google it.

Five practices for orchestrating mathematical discussion

Anticipating what students will do- what strategies they will use, when solving a problem. Teacher being prepared before the lesson. 

Anticipating what students will do- what strategies they will use, when solving a problem. Teacher being prepared before the lesson. (Teacher wait time)

Selecting students whose strategies are worth discussing in class (Teacher’s elicitation of student reasoning)

Sequencing those students' presentations to maximize their potential to increase students' learning  (Revoicing -Teacher-initiated requests that a student repeat a previous contribution by another student)

Connecting the strategies and ideas in a way that helps students understand the mathematics learned (1. Teacher’s request for students to add on. 2.Teacher wait time 3. Teacher-initiated requests that a student repeat a previous contribution by another student)

• Vicki Hagenaars (View all users posts) 19 May 2015 11:07pm ()

Check out the BES on Math Communities published in 2010. It has some great ideas for developing Mathematical communities based on the work by Dr Roberta Hunter - otherwise known as Bobbie Maths. Will be interested to see what else you get offered here. 

Good luck!

Join this group to contribute to discussions.