Search

Expanding our digital tools

• Public
Started by MrsB30 15 May 2015 2:16pm () Replies (12)

We've been fairy well resourced with digital tools since we opened nearly 10 years ago. We have around 5 desktop computers per class (iMacs) and the senior classes have one macbook air per class. About 3 years ago we bought in iPads - but just one per class. We're at a stage now where staff would like more devices. We've been holding off as we feel we need to get the pedagogy around the use of devices right first (which seems to be a common thread in a lot of these discussions!) I'm new to the role of ICT co-ordination this year so I'm sort of trying to find my way with the best direction to go in. I'm looking for advice on what steps I should take next. Should I start developing an e-learning framework for our school? Do we increase iPads or replace our desktops with Chromebooks? Or keep our desktops till they die? So many questions and I feel I am floundering a bit!! Also any schools in Auckland who might have myself and my Digital Collaboration strategy team co-leader visit to share you're e-learning journey? Thanks smiley

Replies

• Aaron Kemp (View all users posts) 19 May 2015 11:51am ()

Fantastic -thanks Tessa.  I have read some of these but the others look fab....Cheers.cool

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 19 May 2015 1:06pm ()

No problems, if you have any to share, that would be fab too smiley

• Aaron Kemp (View all users posts) 18 May 2015 9:36pm ()

General would be fine.  Any type of transition from traditional learning environments to digital.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 19 May 2015 11:30am ()

Hi Aaron, I've asked amongst my network, and these are the responses so far. Let me know how you get on smiley

'Leadership in digital technology: The challenge of decision making' (A Weijermars, 2012)

BLURB: Masters Thesis – Master of Educational Leadership and Management, Unitec Institute of Technology

This research investigated the perceptions of decision-making in the use of digital technologies by three secondary schools, leaders and teachers. In the use of digital technology teachers in these schools understood it to mean how data was captured, stored, manipulated, produced and distributed digitally as mass media. In the context of education digital technological devices offered a host of opportunities in the teachers’ repertoire of instructional tools. With so many innovative web-based ICT resources and DT devices being used in secondary schools, subject specific departments were literally free to pick and choose from a range of digital resources they saw fit for class instruction that enabled students to be captivated and engaged in their learning. For leaders charged with sanctioning budget requests for both ICT and digital technology resources a level of expertise, knowledge and jurisdiction in how these resources supported classroom instruction needed to be examined.

'Leading a Digital School: Principles and practice' (Lee, 2008) - Leading a Digital School: Principles and Practice - a little dated now, but still useful.

BLURB: This important new book informs educational leaders about current developments in the use of digital technologies and presents a number of case studies demonstrating their value and complexity. It encourages leaders to engage in the process of successful change for their own school community by providing guidelines and advice drawn from emerging research. Leading a Digital School is a rich source of information and advice about joining the new 'education revolution.' It shows clearly and concisely how schools can integrate digital technologies creatively and wisely in order to enliven teaching and support student learning.

Disrupting the boundaries of teaching and learning: How digital devices became a resource for transformative change in a time of crisis (Full research report) Te Toi Tupu, CORE Education, Greater Christchurch Schools Network, MoE, Louise Taylor, Tara Fagan, Merryn Dunmill

BLURB: As a result of the Christchurch earthquakes, schools were facing closures, mergers and infrastructural changes.

The report outlines how the project came about, who was involved, how the devices were integrated into schools, and the learning and change that occurred for teachers, students and the community as a result.

Effective Digital Learning Pedagogies & Environments

BLURB: This is a site that provides summaries and resources related to Manaiakalani research and evaluation conducted by the Woolf Fisher Research Centre in partnership with the Manaiakalani schools and the Manaiakalani Education Trust . Useful to LCN Leaders, Teachers and Facilitators.

Educational leaders have some credible research projects that relate directly to leadership and ICT. These can be found in this tag search.

Eight Forces for Leaders of Change (Fullan): Fullan is a thought leader we often don't go past, when it comes to leading organisational change. This paper specifically looks at scaffolding for change from a leadership perspective.

A blog posts that might interest you:

From Vision to Reality:Leading Technology Innovation in Schools that cites Larry Cuban: "If you’re not learning as a leader, if you’re not hip deep in the learning, you’re not the type of instructional leader your students need."

Some related posts in the Enabling e-Learning Leadership (TKI andVLN) that might interest you too:

Thank you Enabling e-Learning, Karen Melhuish, Rebecca Sweeny and Louise Taylor. 

• Aaron Kemp (View all users posts) 18 May 2015 5:33pm ()

Hi Tessa

Needs to be relevant research - ie: articles, papers, books - what we call credible research :-)

Thanks

A

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 18 May 2015 5:52pm ()

Thanks Aaron and one more question - do you mean in general terms of more specific like MLEs and BYOD?

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 18 May 2015 5:04pm ()

Hi Aaron, can I just clarify, do you mean by research... something publishable for Education Counts, a sabbatical report, e-fellowship, post grad paper etc, or can this include anecdotal accounts, community members sharing and/or snapshots?

I've sent out an alert, so will see what comes back...

• Aaron Kemp (View all users posts) 18 May 2015 4:19pm ()

Tessa

I am keen on any, recent and relevant research you may have on 'leaders challenges and successes with transitioning to digital learning environments'.  Fire them my way...

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 18 May 2015 4:08pm ()

I forgot to mention, I can also make myself available to chat in an informal webinar, Skype or Google Hangout session (via VLN tools), if you want to set a time and discuss this further?

In fact, if others are following this thread and are e-leaders interested in sharing some more ideas around effective e-learning pedagogy and procurement of technologies, let me know if you're interested as well, and I can set something up smiley.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 18 May 2015 3:59pm ()

Hi MrsB30, big questions and you can be safe knowing...you’re not alone! These are huge areas to address for any school. Great to know your school is well resourced smiley!

Some historical background

In 2010, the Ministry of Education commissioned an e-learning planning framework for NZ schools, which evolved into this current iteration. It was designed as a self-review tool for schools to map where they think they are at (using the five phases) in their e-capabilities, so that they could address next steps for development across five dimensions >>>

• Beyond the classroom (home/school connections, partnerships)
    • Teaching and Learning (effective pedagogy, curriculum)
    • Professional Learning (supporting teachers/leaders with e-learning to raise achievement)
    • Leadership (leading effective e-learning, strategic planning)
    • Technologies (infrastructure, management, access)

All the dimensions of the eLPF/MMeLPF need to be "in play" if a school is to sustain its e-capability development over time and in ways that reflect effective practice for educators and outcomes for learners. http://elearning.tki.org.nz/Professional-learning/e-Learning-Planning-Framework

It’s a helpful framework to move beyond the ‘gut feelings’ or a desire to ‘have more’ and ‘do more’ of the same. You may well be interested in this document How might you use the eLPF-A possible approach.pdf (PDF, 1,001.39 kB) which is a step by step inquiry into using the framework - which might help you on your way too.

Examples of schools using the e-Learning Planning Framework (webinar recordings)

Where to start for you MrsB30?

Some helpful ideas to help guide your thinking could be:

1. What is my vision for learning? What is my school’s vision for learning? Do either have an e-learning lens?

Considering modern learning environments from EDtalks on Vimeo.

So, while schools are considering Modern Learning Environments (MLE) and Bring your own Devices (BYOD), they’re also considering the necessity to understand what is effective e-learning pedagogy. Schools may well be asking, do we know how our students learn best and what constitutes authentic curriculum content and delivery?

2. How will our vision come to fruition? Understanding effective e-learning pedagogy

There’s some wonderful guiding questions and practical steps in the Pedagogy page of Enabling e-Learning. IE: A couple of questions read as;

Principals and school leaders

·       How well do staff understand how effective pedagogy can be enhanced by the appropriate use of technologies?

Teachers

·       Describe what effective learning looks like. How can technologies/e-learning tools be used effectively as part of that description?

·       To what extent can you use technology to facilitate personalised, collaborative, and connected learning?

Understanding the purpose of e-learning tools an enablers of powerful learning, is important, so that technologies (and lots of them) aren't seen as an add-on.

3. Implementing the vision: It helps to have strong leadership of e-learning to help drive this process.

Some good guiding questions as well as practical steps for e-learning leadership can be found here: http://elearning.tki.org.nz/Leadership/Leading-e-learning 

And... here's a good blog post on choosing the 'right tools', Device choice in schools driven by the ‘write’ things?

Let me know if this is on the right track? If you want any more support, I can post more virtual PLD support mechanisms and resources (around effective e-learning pedagogy), as well as examples of schools sharing. smiley

• Lisette Whitmore (View all users posts) 15 May 2015 7:28pm ()

Hi,

I am at Bombay School, and we started one-to-one devices(BYOD) for our year 4-8 children last year. (Chromebooks) The year before that we had 3 class sets of chromebooks which were given to a one teacher from each syndicate who was keen to move forward and they had their PLG around learning with digital technologies. They were then able to mentor the other staff when it was rolled out last year.  This year the school has purchased iPads for the Year 4-8s as well.

The Juniors have 6 iPads per room. We still have desktops that are slowly dying off too.

I am not the leader in my school, so I would have to ask if the leaders would have time to share....I know they did heaps of visits too before we moved. I'm not sure if what we did is of interest to you. GOOD LUCK!

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.