Search

Self Directed Learning in MLE

Started by Sarah Quinlan 08 May 2015 2:40pm () Replies (29)

Hi, I am currently doing an inquiry into self directed learning within a modern learning environment. I'm really keen to learn more about how students (particularily young ones) are encouraged to self direct and how this is effectively managed and controlled in an environment with large numbers. Any help or advice would be greatlty appreciated!

Replies

• Elicia Pirini (View all users posts) 26 Jul 2015 11:18am ()

Kia Ora all

I am at a school which is at the very beginning of the journey and during the holidays I totally immersed myself in MLE.  I watched videos, I read articles, I found out about things like Variability Matters, Universal Design for Learning, designing spaces for learning, John Hattie's Metaanalydis and so on.  I was hooked but the first issue that came up from others I talked to was; ' But what about the noise.' I wanted to talk big pedagogical ides and didn't even think about the 'devil in the detail'.  So tell me all those who are further down the path. 'What about the noise!'  Is it an issue?  Is it something that is a day to day dialogue within teams? Do you timetable/ organise so that there isn't a noise clash?  I'd love to hear your responses, thanks!

• Elicia Pirini (View all users posts) 26 Jul 2015 12:14pm ()

Thanks Charlotte. I can see that it will be something that will needed to be discussed. It sounds as though you explicitly taught Noise Management as part of Self management/self directed . Maybe the discussion we could have is what will the students need to learn to self manage. We definitely need to ask the students as well. Thanks you've set my brain going.

• Elicia Pirini (View all users posts) 26 Jul 2015 7:51pm ()

Thanks Sue,
    This seems to be a real concern with a lot of our staff. To hear from teachers that are already working amongst it is reassuring. One of our ICT expert teachers has used an app (in a single cell situation) called Silent Light it has different noise level settings and you can negotiate with the students about what noise level is appropriate and for every unit of time you choose,, this is sustained the class gets a point. If the noise goes over the level a warning alert sounds. If anyone is interested look on the App Store.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.