Search

Self Directed Learning in MLE

Started by Sarah Quinlan 08 May 2015 2:40pm () Replies (29)

Hi, I am currently doing an inquiry into self directed learning within a modern learning environment. I'm really keen to learn more about how students (particularily young ones) are encouraged to self direct and how this is effectively managed and controlled in an environment with large numbers. Any help or advice would be greatlty appreciated!

Replies

• Geoff Siave (View all users posts) 25 May 2015 10:46pm ()

That's a goody Johnny.  And thanks Abbie for the info and Sarah for the question.  These are exciting times!

• Geoff Siave (View all users posts) 28 Jul 2015 9:43am ()

I really like your suggested five priorities, Neill. Simple and pointed.  

I recently came across the concept of "the environment as the third teacher".  That works on different levels - the layout of the room is an obvious major factor - catering for a variety of teaching and learning needs - as in the oft-quoted MLE considerations of light, ventilation, acoustics, various learning spaces, etc.   

Whatever we put on our walls is also hugely important.  We will have material which help our "soft systems" run smoothly, such as instructions, directions, learning reminders, behavioural reminders, in/out signs, groups for various parts of the programmes (usually these groups will have each child's name on a detachable label to allow for group flexibility from day to day), and other important reminders.  These will help the class operationally and also provide a reason to read or decipher language, symbols and texts (not all instructional signage will use text).  

Of course a third major part of learning in the environment is the prevalence of material which contributes to - or is a reflection of - the learning.   Whether it's written or drawn, hand made or digitally generated, still image or moving, interactive or static, one dimensional or multi-dimensional.  The "share" component of the "learn, create, share" process is potentially a powerful celebration and application of learning which contributes to the environment being a valuable third teacher.  

Join this group to contribute to discussions.