Search

Managing photos on GAFE

Started by Martin Hughes 3ml.nz 07 May 2015 9:58am () Replies (7)

Hi there - I'm wondering what the best way is for teachers to manage photos in GAFE. They need to be able to print photos easily - both individual photos and collages and multiple photos on a page. I understand that if G+ is turned on for teachers only, then the ability to manage photos is enhanced, but I can't see how to meet the printing requirements. Another approach would be to have shared folders in Google drive - however we are still up against the printing issues - meaning that photos then have to be downloaded locally etc. I'm sure that Google Cloud print may well help here but we'd have to assume the school doesn't have it working yet within their infrastructure. Any ideas out there? Thanks in advance:)

Martin

Replies

• Tim Thatcher (View all users posts) 07 May 2015 10:32am ()

Hi

We upload photos onto a shared Google folder. Students then grab their images, download them,as a word doc then upload to the Papercut webprint portal. It sounds like a lot of work but it only takes a few moments. 

Tim Thatcher

• Leigh Hynes (View all users posts) 07 May 2015 12:10pm ()

Sorry to be a bit of a killjoy but why do teachers need to print lots of photos?  

I would be asking if it is really necessary when there are so many digital options to display photos eg in a slide show, embeded in a site (you can have a whole folder embedded in a site and as they are uploaded, they automatically show on the site), on a blog.  etc etc.  Or is this an essential part of the teacher workflow?  It seems pretty expensive on ink and paper.

Once again, sorry if I have the wrong end of the stick.

• Tim Thatcher (View all users posts) 07 May 2015 12:28pm ()

We have been using Google Sites for e-portfolio's for a few years but have found it has de-personalised the learning so we've gone back to visual diaries for Visual Arts. It increases student engagement and puts a bit more identity into the students work. We got tired of the "Google Feel" as it made the work seem generic. We still use it as a learning portal but when it comes to presenting work for internal standards both students and teachers prefer the hand. Therefore students need to be able to print. Printing in moderation is fine in my book.

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 07 May 2015 12:33pm ()

I agree Tim.  We don't have the 'ePortfolio' thing either.  We use TeacherDashboard, but students organise their folders themselves.    They have a blog where they reflect and write comments about learning, and sometimes share their work.  But its mostly about their learning, and not the end product or work.

• Martin Hughes 3ml.nz (View all users posts) 07 May 2015 3:18pm ()

Hi Leigh

Thanks for that - I do hear you and I do agree. I am working with teachers who are new to GAFE and still missing the ability in Windows to quickly print a batch of pix. I do see this as a stepping stone:)

Martin

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 07 May 2015 12:21pm ()

With you on that one Leigh.

Sharing free, online will millions is better than printing with an expense and with 10 or so...

We just share them in a folder.  Our 180 students with 1:1 don't have access to print.  The only time the students have anything printed is when it comes to reports!  And we are working on a new way of reporting which I'm really excited about...  more work, but way way WAY more relevant!

Join this group to contribute to discussions.