Search

Screen Casting

• Public
Started by Kim Tautari-Scott 06 May 2015 4:00pm () Replies (6)

Hi everyone.  I'm interested if anyone uses screen casting on their chromebooks.  If so what do you use?  I have a student who is wanting to make some screencasts to help us, teachers, create a google site.  Thanking you in advance.

Replies

• Roimata Baker (View all users posts) 06 May 2015 7:27pm ()

Screencastify is great and can be pushed out to all chromebooks if students would like to create their own screencasts.  Very easy to use, videos files are saved to the drive and very easy to share.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfucb1gy8VA

• Jacinda Panther (View all users posts) 07 May 2015 10:40am ()

Def screencastify. It works on chromebooks and laptops. You can record the screen, a specific tab or you can use the camera to record yourself. My kids find it really easy. 

Here is an example. First attempts so very basic...

• Carol Kendall (View all users posts) 07 May 2015 11:32am ()

I learnt about the TechSmith Snagit app AND associated extension at the recent Edtech Team GAFE Summit in Christchurch - Chris Betcher did a great session, that also include information about Screencastify. There were pros and cons of each.

I used Snagit for the first time last week, and once I'd sorted out the permissions for microphone recording in the Chrome settings, it worked well. When I first played the video back, it seemed very laggy etc, but I figured out that this was just during processing. Once it was done, and I just wanted to play it, it was fine.

• Monika Kern (View all users posts) 07 May 2015 11:45am ()

Hi Carol,

have you got any notes to share from Chris Betcher's session? I just installed the Snagit extension and it looks very good - that's what I love about the VLN, all the great advice you get from other teachers! I have previously used the Screencastify Chrome extension which is very simple to use and I have never had any problems with it (except I don't really like listening to my own voice lol).

Thanks, Monika

• Carol Kendall (View all users posts) 07 May 2015 12:06pm ()

Chris's notes are here. I do remember him saying that there were TWO things to install 0 one an app, and one an extension. At least, I think I'm remembering that correctly! Seems to be what I have :-)

Here's my first effort with the TechSmith's Snagit - instructions on how to install the Kaizena Mini add-on - a bit rough around the edges, but there you go! I'm hoping to use Snagit with students, to have them create tutorials for teachers, or brief descriptions of some aspect of their own learning.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.