Search

School Phone System

Started by MrsB30 01 May 2015 12:05pm () Replies (9)

We're currently looking to upgrade our school phone system. Just wondering what systems other schools are using, if they're cloud based and pros/cons. Not sure if I am asking in the right place so please point me in the right direction if not!

Sarahsmiley

Replies

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 01 May 2015 12:20pm ()

Hi Sarah,

We just did this!  Last Monday (10 days ago) we upgraded to VOIP (we were VOIP, but running it through analogue system which was such a pain.  Constant drop outs and errors!

So this is what we have done.

2x Dedicated internet UFB lines.

- 1 for the internet and this is a managed network through N4L (VOIP wont work through N4L lines)

- 1 for the VOIP phone system.  This is a sole connection just for our VOIP and EFTpos terminal.

We have canceled our existing internet connection, analogue fax line, coper phone line for EFTpos... which was $350-500 per month.   Now we are paying $149 for everything!!

The initial cost of this setup was almost $2,000 including all new (hardware) 

- 6x phone handsets and 3 base units that the handsets connect to (wireless) 2 new routers, a dedicated wireless router for the EFTpos terminal.  But...  within 6 months we will have saved double this initial cost!

We have had no errors, and the learning curve only lasted a couple of days.  Really easy to work, transfer calls, answer machines for each handset...  as well as forwarding calls to mobiles if you want...  so much better!

• Tim Harper (View all users posts) 01 May 2015 12:25pm ()

Hi Hamish,

VOIP does work with N4L provided the VOIP supplier works with SIP trunks that terminate via the internet and not as some suppliers do by taking the VOIP component off the fibre at the local cabinet.

EFTPOS works via N4L too.  We have two EFTPOS terminals here at Mt Aspiring College that are internet based and it all goes.

regards,

Tim Harper.

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 01 May 2015 12:30pm ()

Thats really strange!  N4L told me that they couldn't do it for us.  I spoke with one senior tech, as well as out account manager.  They both said nope, it wont work.  

• Tim Harper (View all users posts) 01 May 2015 12:46pm ()

Hi Hamish,

it may be then that your VOIP supplier could not use internet terminated SIP trunks.  Who is your VOIP supplier?

regards,

Tim Harper.

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 01 May 2015 12:56pm ()

We worked with 'CT solutions' from Hamilton.  Our base and handsets are Yealink.  

The routers are supplied through chorus (spark) and are running through 'woneinternet' connection.  Both N4L and Woneinteret come straight off the optical converter and go into routers.  N4L then goes into our filter, and the VOIP system goes into out backbone, and then onto which ever port the hubs are plugged into..  

• Nathaniel Louwrens (View all users posts) 04 May 2015 9:09am ()

Hi Sarah

The new Connected Learning Advisory can help you with advice around your school phone system.

You can log an enquiry with them at www.connectedlearning.org.nz

Thanks

Nathaniel

• Carol Kendall (View all users posts) 11 Nov 2015 9:14pm ()

We're looking seriously at VOIP too. I got some excellent, understandable background advice and suggestions from the Connected Learning Advisory today. Now I'm wondering how many schools out there have this system and how they're finding it in practice (apparently the school receptionist is the best person to ask)! I was also told to stick with VOIP in the cloud, not stored on our site.We are a school of around 250 students and 11-12 classrooms.

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 11 Nov 2015 9:37pm ()

Do you mean the PBX in the cloud?

Thats how we went too.  Then if there are any issues you just log in to the portal, and apply the changes you want.   Better way I think too, and its cheeper.  Although then you have software doing what hardware usually does, so there are limitations.   We have not had any problems so far though..

Join this group to contribute to discussions.