Search

Wireless Mirroring

• Public
Started by Rachel 30 Apr 2015 11:05am () Replies (9)

Kia Ora Koutou,

Our school has just leased 7 iPads per class. We are trying to mirror the iPads to our projectors/tv's but it seems there are a few other options out there

Has anyone tried installing software on PC laptops so that iPads can mirror to computer (and then on a big screen)?

It seems the main options are an airserver, itools (which is free but glitchy), or 3rd party software like 360 mirroring and annotate. 

Help?

Replies

• Angela Sime (View all users posts) 30 Apr 2015 11:12am ()

Hi Rachel

I tried using Splashtop classroom on our my laptop.  We have TVs installed, but no cords for our laptops to show on the TV, so the splashtop app let me show my pc throught my ipad which was connected to my tv via apple TV (confusing I know!)  I did find splashtop good, but a little clunky.  We are now using GAFE so I screen to my TV using chromecast (brilliant!!) and still use Apple TV for screening my ipad when necessary.  Some of my staff are still wanting to connect directly to Tv, but a lot find everything they do is usually in Chrome or the Google Drive so it is a perfect solution for them.  

We all used to have projectors, but as our projectors have died we have replaced htem with TVs which is a much better financial option for us. 

Splashtop classroom is worth checking out for what your are trying to do I think.

Hope this helps

Angela

• Roimata Baker (View all users posts) 30 Apr 2015 11:20am ()

We use Apple TV.  Great for mirroring all Apple devices to our class TV.  Handy if you have a BYOD class.  I agree, Chromecast are also great.  Ideally, you would have both plugged in.  Chromecast will mirror any Google android devices including mobile phones and chromebooks.  Just means you'll get the most out of your screen.  They're not that expensive and would replace clunky old digital projectors.  Having said that, if anyone has an old overhead projector do let me know. I have a young artist with zero budget looking for one. 

• Monika Kern (View all users posts) 30 Apr 2015 11:40am ()

Hi Rachel,

there are also a number of programmes available you can put onto a laptop or desktop that is connected to your projector, and then you mirror the iPad to the laptop (or desktop) and it shows on your projector. I like using Reflector App from airsquirrel, especially as more than one iPad can be shown at the same time. It costs US$14.99 and from memory you can buy multiple copies at a reduced price. I have bought it for both my laptop and my MacBook. I also have X-Mirage on the MacBook, got it for free through some promotion, and I have heard it is better than Reflector; I haven't used it much yet, but from memory people were saying that it is very easy to record your iPad screen through this (one of these days I will play with that some more).

People in the iPad / iPod User Group might also have other helpful suggestions.

Cheers, Monika

• Aaron Kemp (View all users posts) 14 May 2015 9:02pm ()

Thanks for your question Rachel.  I would like to ask that when using Chromecast and connected to the TV from the IPAD using wireless, does this mean that your wireless can no longer access the wireless internet because it is being used by Chromecast.  I think what I am trying to ask is if I want to show a youtube clip using wireless internet but have my wireless connected to Chromecast does this stop me from internet access?

Cheers  Aaron

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 14 May 2015 10:01pm ()

Hi Aaron,

We have chromecasts and appleTV's for each TV in our school.  What these do is act as an interim.  So you can mirror your screen, but as soon as you want to play a youtube video, then your computer acts as a remote.  The chromecast streams straight form the internet.  

Your computer is connected to the internet.  The chromecast is also connected to the internet, but the laptop tells the chromecast what it needs to display.  

Hope that clarifies it..

The apple TV is able to mirror the ipad directly, so it streams off the ipad onto the appleTV (screen).  So playing a video off the iPad will be quite glitchy as the data comes off the ipad, onto the appleTV and to the display.

You can cast moves or images off your pc via chromecast, (requres a 3rd party app) but then that too will be laggy.  

(wifi data transfer is quite slow at the moment)...  although new wifi tech is out, thats pretty fast... (don't think chrome casts are able to utalise that.

• Aaron Kemp (View all users posts) 15 May 2015 10:31am ()

Thanks Hamish...makes sense around video.

Cheers

• Rachel (View all users posts) 18 May 2015 3:45pm ()

Hi everyone,

Just to update you on our progress, we have trialed Reflector 2 by AirSquirrel, with mixed reviews. Not sure if it is because it's a trial version.

http://www.airsquirrels.com/reflector/

Reflector is great for mirroring multiple ipads or laptops on one screen at the same time.

It wirelessly mirrors to a computer, which you can project onto a big screen, or watch what your students are up to on iPads while you are elsewhere in the room.

There is also a recording function (think ShowMe for EVERYTHING) but with only a week trial none of our teacher got to this level of sophistication. 

Several teachers has trouble with the program freezing and dropping off so we are going to trial another program before we commit to licenses. 

Rachel :)

• Innes Kennard (View all users posts) 18 May 2015 11:21pm ()

Hi Rachel

You mention 'another application' As there are one or two can I suggest, in case you haven't, that you include X-Mirage. I alternate between this and Reflector when working in schools and seem to find that one or other works better depending on that particular schools wireless. I have paid for both and have tried both at the same time in a school with one being more robust than the other!    It also has a weeks trial period.

Not sure what logic, if any, there is in this but ...

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Technologies

e-Learning: Technologies

Where we explore how different technologies can support learning.